About Toby Baker
Along with his two fellow full-time commissioners, Baker establishes overall agency direction and policy, and makes final determinations on contested permitting and enforcement matters.
Baker also serves as Governor Perry’s appointee to the Gulf Coast Ecosystem Restoration Council and the Western States Water Council, represents Texas on the Gulf of Mexico Alliance Management Team, and serves on the Coastal Land Advisory Board.
Prior to his appointment, Baker was a policy and budget advisor on energy, natural resources and agriculture issues for the Governor’s Office, where he was also the liaison between the office and members of the Legislature, constituents, the Railroad Commission of Texas, the TCEQ, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the Texas Department of Agriculture, and the Texas Animal Health Commission. He is a past natural resource policy advisor to Sen. Craig Estes, and the former director and clerk of the Texas Senate Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Affairs and Coastal Resources.
Baker received a bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University, where he was a member of the Corps of Cadets, and a Master of Public Service and Administration from the Texas A&M George Bush School of Government and Public Service. He is also a graduate of the National Outdoor Leadership School and the Governor’s Executive Development Program at the University of Texas LBJ School of Public Affairs.
- Texas RESTORE Act Advisory Board Holds First Organizational Meeting Oct. 3, 2013
- Gulf Coast Ecosystem Restoration Council to Vote on Cleanup Plan. Aug. 7, 2013
- TCEQ accepting nominations for 2014 Texas Environmental Excellence Awards. Aug. 5, 2013
- Extended Drought Fosters New Approaches. August 2013
- Gulf Coast Ecosystem Restoration Council Extends Public Comment Period. June 20, 2013
- Kevin Fowler, TCEQ, and TPWD Team Up to Take Care of Texas. June 2013
- Gov. Perry Signs Landmark Water Legislation. May 28, 2013
- Texas Hosts Gulf Coast Restoration Council Meeting. Mar. 12, 2013
- Polluters and Penalties: Will Higher Fines Make a Difference in Texas? StateImpact Texas article/radio. Feb. 11, 2013
- RestoreTheGulf.gov. Feb. 6, 2013
- Texans Take Action Addressing Future Water Supplies. February 2013
- The Path Forward to Restoring the Gulf, an initial step in developing a more detailed Comprehensive Plan. Jan. 29, 2013
- Statement from TCEQ Commissioner Toby Baker on today's DOJ partial settlement with Transocean. Jan. 3, 2013
- TCEQ Highlights from Fiscal Year 2012.
- Young Perry appointee tries to forge political path in public office. Nov. 26, 2012
- Texas in Vanguard of Nationwide Oil and Gas Energy Boom. August 2012
- TCEQ statement on favorable CSAPR court ruling. Aug. 21, 2012
- TCEQ Welcomes Commissioner Toby Baker. July 2012
- Gov. Perry Appoints Baker to Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Mar. 23, 2012
- TCEQ Newsroom
Commissioner Baker on YouTube
- TCEQ and Secretariat of Environment of Coahuila Sign a Memorandum of Cooperation. May 1, 2013
- 2013 Trade Fair Luncheon Presentation, features discussions with TCEQ’s three commissioners. Apr. 30, 2013
- At the Central Tx Env. Summit with Commissioner Toby Baker and Senator Leticia Van de Putte, R.Ph., District 26. Jan. 18, 2013
- RestoreTheGulf.gov. Feb. 6, 2013
- Barnett Shale Geological Area
- In the Vanguard of an Oil and Gas Boom, Biennial Report to 83rd Legislature FY2011-FY2012
- Oil and Gas: Barnet Shale and Eagle Ford Shale, Bienniel Report to 83rd Legislature FY2011-FY2012
- Texas Environmental Excellence Awards
- About the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan (TERP)
- Today's Texas Air Quality Forecast