About Zak Covar
Covar previously served as executive director of the TCEQ, since May 1, 2012, and as deputy executive director and assistant deputy executive director since June 2008. He was responsible for the day-to-day operations, policy implementation, and budget-related activities for the agency. Prior to his appointment to the executive office, he served as the executive assistant to TCEQ Commissioner Bryan W. Shaw, Ph.D.
As an avid outdoorsman, Covar recognizes that Texas is blessed with an abundance of natural resources that need to be treasured and protected. Impassioned to help secure our environment, Covar revamped TCEQ’s Take Care of Texas public awareness program during his term as executive director, working to spread the word to Texans on how to take care of the environment for today and tomorrow. Under Covar’s direction, the TCEQ partnered with country music artist Kevin Fowler—also an outdoor enthusiast—to reach Texans via TV, radio, and special events. Covar will continue to champion this program as commissioner.
Covar worked as the environmental and natural resource adviser to Governor Rick Perry from 2005 to 2007. In this role, Covar was responsible for advising the governor and senior staff on all major budget and policy issues pertaining to the TCEQ, the Texas Railroad Commission, and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Prior experience included his tenure as the Clerk for the House Environmental Regulation Committee for Chairman Dennis Bonnen (State Representative, District 25).
A native Texan, Covar earned a Bachelor of Science in Poultry Science from Texas A&M University. He and his wife Krista have a daughter and identical twin boys.
- Take Care of Texas During Summer Road Trips. June 17, 2014
- Governor Rick Perry’s Greeting to 2014 TEEA Winners. May 8, 2014
- TCEQ congratulates 2014 Texas Environmental Excellence Awards Winners. Apr. 29, 2014
- Take Care of Texas Encourages Earth Day. Apr. 21, 2014
- Zak Covar Builds on a Firm Foundation. Natural Outlook, March/April 2014
- Former Perry Policy Aide to Serve as State Environmental Agency Commissioner. Austin American-Statesman article. Jan. 14, 2014
- Zak Covar Appointed TCEQ Commissioner
- Gov. Perry Appoints Covar to Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
Commissioner Covar on YouTube
- 2014 Texas Environmental Trade Fair Luncheon. May 6, 2014
- Oil and Gas Production in Texas: Balancing a Strong Economy with Environmental Protection. May 5, 2014