The Mickey Leland Environmental Internship Program
Am I Eligible?
You must meet all internship requirements to be eligible to participate.
- You must be an undergraduate student and have completed at least 60 semester hours at the end of the spring 2015 semester or be a current graduate student enrollee. This internship program is open to BOTH undergraduate AND graduate students.
- You must be enrolled full time during the current spring semester and have a minimum academic grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of application.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States.
- You should be enrolled in environmental or other science-related disciplines including, but not limited to, the following:
- public health
- public administration
Students pursuing the following majors are also encouraged to apply:
- computer science
- criminal justice
How Do I Apply?
First, submit an online application form. Applications accepted January 1, 2015-March 13, 2015. It’s important that you submit your online application first before submitting any supporting documents.
Next, submit all of the following supporting documentation (may be submitted separately or together):
- a professor's letter of recommendation; only submit ONE letter of recommendation
- current official academic transcript to include courses in progress current spring semester. A scanned and legible copy of official transcript may be submitted by student. Official transcript sealed and sent directly by university is also acceptable, but not required. Unofficial copy of transcript does not meet program requirements and will not be accepted.
- verification of current spring semester enrollment (required if transcript does not list courses in progress current spring semester)
E-mail documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail documentation to:
Mickey Leland Internship Program, MC 116
Human Resources and Staff Services Division
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
PO Box 13087
Austin, TX 78711-3087
NOTE: Complete application packages (online application and all supporting documents) received by the March 13, 2015 deadline have the best opportunity for review and consideration by sponsors/managers.
Incomplete application packages (for example, missing the online application or related documents) may not be considered.
What is the timeline for the 2015 Mickey Leland Internship Program?
|Sponsor Request Forms/Student
Applications Accepted Starting
|January 1, 2015|
|Student Application Deadline||March 13, 2015|
|Sponsors Interview Candidates||April - May 2015|
|Candidates Notified of Selection||April - May 2015|
|Intern Assignments End *||August 28, 2015 *|
|2015 Program Concludes||August 28, 2015|
* Individual intern assignments may end prior to August 28, 2015 to allow student to return to school for the fall semester.
Where will I work?
Interns are assigned to a specific work location (either at TCEQ, another state agency, or a private sector employer) based on business needs and the student’s geographic location preference.
Students identify up to three location preferences in their online application. Interns are responsible for funding and handling their own housing and relocation arrangements.
Intern location sites are in Texas and include:
- Corpus Christi
- Dallas/ Fort Worth
- EL Paso
- San Angelo
- San Antonio
What are internship expectations?
As an intern, you will be expected to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position to which you are assigned. Interns must abide by all policies, procedures, and regulations of the employing agency or organization. This may include drug testing.
Sponsors/mentors will provide you with feedback concerning your performance.