Controlling VOC Emissions from Degreasing Processes
Rules in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 115 for controlling emissions of volatile organic compounds from degreasing. These rules are part of the State Implementation Plan strategy to meet the National Ambient Air Quality Standard for ozone.
- Austin–Round Rock area (Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, and Williamson counties)
- Beaumont–Port Arthur area (Hardin, Jefferson, and Orange counties)
- Corpus Christi area (rules apply in Nueces County)
- Dallas–Fort Worth area (Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, and Tarrant counties)
- El Paso area (El Paso County)
- Houston-Galveston-Brazoria area (Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller counties)
- Northeast Texas area (Rules apply in Gregg County)
- San Antonio area (Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, and Wilson counties)
- Victoria area (Victoria County)
Description of Rules
- Operating procedures and equipment specifications for cold-solvent, vapor, and conveyorized degreasing machines.
- Limit the VOC vapor pressure of cleaning solutions used in the degreasing machines.
- Require testing to demonstrate compliance with the control requirements.
- Contain monitoring and record-keeping requirements.
The Chapter 115 rule history for degreasing operations discusses revisions to the rules, including their proposal and adoption, the associated State Implementation Plan revision, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approval.
- The Decision Support System can help you determine if you are subject to the Chapter 115 degreasing rules.
- Resources for small businesses and local governments
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Standards
- EPA Test Methods
- EPA Performance Specifications for continuous emission-monitoring systems and CEMS quality-assurance procedures
- The Chapter 115 Stakeholder Group helps the agency with air quality issues
- State plan to meet the national ozone standard
- Air permitting and registration
- Tax relief for pollution-control property
- Point source emissions inventory
- These rules are based on the EPA’s guidelines on control techniques for degreasing