Controlling VOC Emissions from Flexographic and Rotogravure Printing
Rules in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 115 for controlling emissions of volatile organic compounds from flexographic and rotogravure printing. These rules are part of the State Implementation Plan strategy to meet the National Ambient Air Quality Standard for ozone.
- Beaumont–Port Arthur area (Hardin, Jefferson, and Orange counties)
- Dallas–Fort Worth area (Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, and Tarrant counties)
- El Paso area (El Paso County)
- Houston-Galveston-Brazoria area (Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller counties)
Description of Rules
- Limit the VOC emissions from materials applied during printing by using materials with a low VOC content or employing a vapor-control system.
- Operational work practices.
- Require tests to demonstrate compliance with the VOC emission limits.
- Require monitoring control equipment and maintaining appropriate records.
The Chapter 115 rule history for flexographic and rotogravure printing discusses revisions to the rules, including their proposal and adoption, the associated State Implementation Plan revision, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approval.
- The Decision Support System can help you determine if you are subject to the Chapter 115 flexographic and rotogravure printing rules.
- Compliance resources for printers
- Resources for small businesses and local governments
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Standards
- EPA Test Methods
- EPA performance specifications for continuous emission-monitoring systems and CEMS quality-assurance procedures
- The Chapter 115 Stakeholder Group helps the agency with air quality issues
- State plan to meet the national ozone standard
- Air permitting and registration
- Tax relief for pollution-control property
- Point source emissions inventory
- These rules are based on the following EPA recommendations:
- Control Techniques Guidelines for Flexible Package Printing (EPA-453/R-06-003, 2006) (PDF)
- Control of Volatile Organic Emissions from Existing Stationary Sources, Vol. VIII: Graphic Arts—Rotogravure and Flexography (EPA-450/2-78-033, 1978) (PDF)