Controlling VOC Emissions from Offset Lithographic Printing
Rules in Title 30, Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 115 for controlling emissions of volatile organic compounds from offset lithographic printing. These rules are part of the State Implementation Plan strategy to meet the National Ambient Air Quality Standard for ozone.
- Dallas–Fort Worth area (Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, and Tarrant counties)
- El Paso area (El Paso County)
- Houston-Galveston-Brazoria area (Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller counties)
Description of Rules
- Apply to offset lithographic printing lines with at least 3.0 tons of VOC emissions per year.
- Limit the VOC (alcohol) content of fountain solutions and allow sources to choose from multiple compliance options.
- Limit the VOC content of solutions used to clean printing-press equipment.
- Require testing to determine the VOC content of fountain and cleaning solutions.
- Require monitoring printing equipment during operation and maintaining appropriate records.
The Chapter 115 rule history for offset lithographic printing discusses revisions to the rules, including their proposal and adoption, the associated State Implementation Plan revision, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approval.
- The Decision Support System can help you determine if you are subject to the Chapter 115 offset lithographic printing rules.
- Compliance resources for printers
- Resources for small businesses and local governments
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Standards
- EPA Test Methods
- Chapter 115 Stakeholder Group helps the agency with air quality issues
- Control Techniques Guidelines Stakeholder Group helps the agency with air quality issues related to the EPA’s recommendations in Control Techniques Guidelines for controlling emissions in the state's nonattainment areas.
- State plan to meet the national ozone standard
- Emissions banking and trading program
- Air permitting and registration
- Tax relief for pollution-control property
- Point source emissions inventory
- These rules are based on the following EPA recommendations:
- 2006 Control Techniques Guidelines for Offset Lithographic and Letterpress Printing (EPA-453/R-06-002) (PDF)
- 1994 Alternative Control Techniques for Offset Lithographic Printing (EPA-453/R-94-054) (PDF)
- 1993 Draft Control Techniques Guidelines for Offset Lithographic Printing (EPA-453/D-95-001) (PDF)