Auto Body Shops: Compliance Resources
- Industry-Specific Permits by Rule for Auto Body Shops
- Permit by Rule 106.436
- De Minimis–Determine if your site is covered under the De Minimis rule.
- Paint Spray Booths–Spray booth information and examples of acceptable and unacceptable stack designs.
- NESHAP Assistance Tools for Auto Body, Surface Coating, and Paint Stripping
- Am I a Public Water System? If you have a private well, you may be a public water system.
- You're a Public Water System…Now What? (RG-496) – A guide for rules and regulations that apply to public water systems, especially for those who may have recently learned they own a PWS.
- Permitting a Septic System You must check with your local permitting authority, and you can use a septic system for toilet and kitchen wastewater only. Process water is prohibited.
- If you are connected to a sewer system, contact your local Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) before discharging to their system.
- If you are not connected to a POTW, you may containerize your wastewater for disposal, apply for an industrial re-use authorization, or apply for an individual permit.
- Instructions and Application to Use Industrial Reclaimed Water
- Industrial Wastewater Discharges: The Permit Process
- Hazardous Waste: There IS an Easier Way
- Industrial and Hazardous Waste: Rules and Regulations for Small-Quantity Generators (RG-234)
- Managing Paint and Paint-Related Waste under the Universal Waste Rule (RG-370)
- Common Questions on Empty Waste Containers (RG-480)
- Waste Designation Decision Matrix
- Requirements for Used and Scrap Tire Generators (RG513)
Compliance Overview Tools
- EPA's Collision Repair Campaign page. The CRC provides compliance assistance tools and resources for the auto body industry.
- Answers for Environmental Questions from Auto Body Shops
- Auto Body Compliance Checklist
- Pollution Prevention for Auto Body Shops
- Your business could be eligible for a free environmental compliance assessment. For more information, visit our Compliance Commitment (C2) Site Visit Program website.