Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Complaint Arrow Questions or Comments:
You are here: Home / Drinking Water / CCR / Consumer Confidence Report Updates

Consumer Confidence Report Updates

Changes and updates about CCR requirements.

Exceedance of Fluoride Secondary Constituent Level

If your system exceeded the fluoride secondary constituent level (SCL) of 2.0 mg/L but has not exceeded the maximum contaminant level of 4.0 mg/L, you are required to notify your customers in the CCR per 30 Texas Administrative Code §290.118(g) and §290.122(d)(3)(B). You must include ALL the following language in the CCR:

This is an alert about your drinking water and a cosmetic dental problem that might affect children under nine years of age. At low levels, fluoride can help prevent cavities, but children drinking water containing more than 2 milligrams per liter (mg/L) of fluoride may develop cosmetic discoloration of their permanent teeth (dental fluorosis). The drinking water provided by your community water system [name] has a fluoride concentration of [insert value] mg/L.

Dental fluorosis, in its moderate or severe forms, may result in a brown staining and/or pitting of the permanent teeth. This problem occurs only in developing teeth, before they erupt from the gums. Children under nine should be provided with alternative sources of drinking water or water that has been treated to remove the fluoride to avoid the possibility of staining and pitting of their permanent teeth. You may also want to contact your dentist about proper use by young children of fluoride-containing products. Older children and adults may safely drink the water.

Drinking water containing more than 4 mg/L of fluoride (the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's drinking water standard) can increase your risk of developing bone disease. Your drinking water does not contain more than 4 mg/L of fluoride, but we're required to notify you when we discover that the fluoride levels in your drinking water exceed 2 mg/L because of this cosmetic dental problem.

For more information, please call [name of water system contact] of [name of community water system] at [phone number]. Some home water treatment units are also available to remove fluoride from drinking water. To learn more about available home water treatment units, you may call NSF International at 1-877-8-NSF-HELP.


Electronic Delivery of the Consumer Confidence Report

Effective January 2013 the TCEQ will be allowing community PWS to electronically deliver their CCR per EPA guidance. The EPA evaluated several electronic delivery methods to determine which forms meet existing CCR Rule requirements. This EPA interpretive memorandum SDWA – Consumer Confidence Report Rule Delivery Options, clarifies the requirements of the CCR Rule associated with the delivery of the CCR. You can find a copy of this memorandum on the EPA Website.

Water Loss to be Reported on the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Consumer Confidence Report (CCR)

During the 2013 83rd Regular Legislative Session, House Bill (HB) 1461 was passed and became effective on September 1, 2013. HB 1461 requires any retail public utility that is required to file a water loss audit with the Texas Water Development Board to notify its customers of the most recent water loss reported in the water loss audit. You can view HB 1461 on-line at <>. HB 1461 provides retail public utilities with the following options to notify its customers of the reported water loss:

  • On the next annual CCR, due July 1 to the TCEQ, delivered after the water loss audit is filed, or
  • On the next bill the customer receives after the water loss audit is filed.

Example: In the water loss audit submitted to the Texas Water Development Board for the time period of Jan-Dec 2013, our system lost an estimated _____ gallons of water. If you have any questions about the water loss audit please call PWS phone number.

If you have any other questions about how the amount of water lost should appear on your CCR please call the TCEQ Public Drinking Water Section at 512-239-4691.

If you have any questions about the water loss audit please contact the Texas Water Development Board at 512-463-7847.

If you have questions concerning the CCR, please call the Drinking Water Quality Team at 512-239-4691 or email When you contact the TCEQ please make sure that you reference the PWS Name and ID number.