How to Notify Customers of a Community PWS of an Acute Chemical Violation
These instructions apply to you if you own or operate a community public water system. To notify customers of a violation of the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for nitrate or nitrite, you must:
- Notify customers as soon as possible, but in no case later than 24 hours after we notify you of the MCL violation. [Title 30 Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC) Paragraph 290.122(b)(2)]
- Use the appropriate mandatory language [30 TAC Subsections 290.122(b)&(d)]:
- Issue the notice in each of these ways [30 TAC Subparagraphs
- Furnish a copy of the notice to the radio and television stations that serve the area served by your PWS.
- If a daily newspaper of general circulation serves the area served by your PWS, publish the notice in that newspaper.
- If no such newspaper exists, continuously post the notice in conspicuous places within the area served by your PWS until we tell you that you may take it down. [30 TAC Subparagraph 290.122(b)(3)(B)]
- Within 10 days of when you issue this notice, send a copy of
the actual notice and the signed Certificate of Delivery of
Public Notice to Customers (form TCEQ-20208) to us by mail at:
Drinking Water Quality Team Public Notice Coordinator MC-155
PO Box 13087
Austin TX 78711-3087
or by fax to 512/239-6050 [30 TAC Subsection 290.122(f)].
- No more than 45 days after the violation was discovered, mail or hand-deliver a copy of the notice to all persons served by your PWS. (If you mail this follow-up notice, you may enclose it with the water bill.) [30 TAC Subparagraph 290.122(a)(3)(A)] After each follow-up notice, complete TCEQ-20208 as described in Step 4 and submit it to us with a copy of the notice issued.
- For as long as the violation exists, reissue the notice at least once every three months by mail or by direct delivery. (This reissued notice may also be mailed with the water bill.) [30 TAC Subparagraph 290.122(a)(3)(B)] For each reissued notice, complete TCEQ-20208 and submit it to us with a copy of the notice as described in Step 4.
- When you have corrected the violation, issue another notice in the same way you issued the original notice. [30 TAC Paragraph 290.122(b)(4)] Then, as described in Step 4, complete TCEQ-20208 and submit it to us with a copy of this notice.
If you have any questions about these instructions, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512/239-4691 and ask to speak to a member of our PDW Drinking Water Quality Team.