Turbidity Boil Water Notification
Procedure to follow to issue boil water notice for high turbidity in treated surface water.
Public Notification Requirements
Boil Water Notification
1. Notify TCEQ within 24 hours.
2. Provide a copy of the notice to TCEQ.
3 Initial public notice issued if the turbidity of the finished
water produced by a surface water treatment plant exceeds 5.0
Notify customers within 24 hours,
Use the Boil Water Notification format as specified in
Provide bilingual notification if appropriate.
4. The notice must remain in effect until:
The water entering the distribution system has a turbidity level
below 1.0 NTU,
The distribution system has been thoroughly flushed,
A minimum of 0.2 mg/L free chlorine residual or 0.5 mg/L
chloramine (measured as total chlorine) is present throughout the
Water samples collected for microbiological analysis are found
negative for coliform organisms.
5. Once the boil water notification is no longer in effect,
notification must be issued in the same manner as the original
notice was issued.
6. Other protective measures may be required at the discretion
of the executive director.