Edwards Aquifer Protection Program
Anyone who plans to build on the recharge, transition, or contributing zones of the Edwards Aquifer must first have an application including construction plans approved by the TCEQ. Personnel from the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program review these plans. If a plan is approved, the site is monitored for compliance.
Some material posted here is in portable document format. (Help with PDF.)
- Technical Guidance
- About the Program
- Contact the Appropriate Regional Office
- Sign up for E-mail Updates
The Edwards Aquifer regulated zones are present in eight Texas counties. The official boundaries were drawn on topographic base maps from the U.S. Geological Survey.
- Try our map viewer to view and print maps
- Experienced GIS users may download digital maps
- Maps of the major and minor aquifers of Texas are located at the Texas Water Development Board mapping page
Our primary manual is Complying with the Edwards Aquifer RulesTechnical Guidance on Best Management Practices, RG-348,. There is a brief list of typographical errors in the manual. You may notify us of any other errors. We post an addendum that provides additional information that is approved for inclusion in the manual.
You may use our spreadsheet for permanent BMPs to calculate the required pollutant load reduction and sizing for permanent BMPs.
There are appendices to our manual that we call Optional Enhanced Measures for the Protection of Water Quality in the Edwards Aquifer. Last year we developed a supplemental guidance for quarry operations.
About the Program
Find information about the history of state regulations to protect the aquifer, the latest rulemaking, and ways you can participate in the program.
- Regulatory History of the Edwards Aquifer
- Edwards Aquifer Protection Program Public Comments
- Program Expense Report for 2012 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2011 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2010 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2009 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2008 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2007 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2006 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2005 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2004 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2003 (PDF)
- Program Expense Report for 2002 (PDF)
Contact the Appropriate Regional Office
For Projects in Hays, Travis and Williamson Counties:
Austin Regional Office
12100 Park 35 Circle
Austin, TX 78753
For Projects in Bexar, Comal, Kinney, Medina and Ulvade Counties:
TCEQ San Antonio Regional Office
14250 Judson Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78233-4480