Aboveground Storage Tank Facility Plan
What is an Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) facility plan?
An AST facility plan is a detailed plan that outlines best management practices that will be implemented in order to protect water quality when a regulated aboveground storage tank facility is constructed in the Edwards Aquifer recharge or transition zone.
Who is required to prepare and submit an AST facility plan?
An AST facility plan is required for the installation of permanent aboveground storage tanks at a facility that will have a total storage capacity of 500 gallons or more of static hydrocarbons or hazardous substances on either the recharge or transition zones of the Edwards Aquifer.
Permanent aboveground storage tanks that will have a total storage capacity of less than 500 gallons are not required to have an AST facility plan.
When should an AST facility plan be submitted to the TCEQ?
An AST facility plan must go through the application submission and review process and be approved prior to the commencement of construction of the regulated tanks.
How much is the fee?
How do I know what forms to complete?
Use the forms listed below to prepare your AST facility plan application.
If you are installing an organized sewage collection system, an underground storage tank, or conducting other regulated activities, review the Edwards Aquifer Protection Plan - Required Forms Flowchart to determine if additional forms are required.
Are there any tips for completing this type of plan?
- Do not leave any questions unanswered. If a question does not apply to your site, enter “N/A” in the blank and briefly explain why the question does not apply.
- A containment area is a required element of the plan. Certain double-walled tanks are acceptable in place of the tank containment requirement.
- If underground piping is proposed, then a continuous leak-detection system is required for the piping.
Application Cover Page
- Form TCEQ-0585 (PDF, Word)
- Instructions to Geologists TCEQ-0585-Instructions (PDF, Word)
- Geologic Assessment Table TCEQ-0585-Table (PDF, Excel)
Aboveground Storage Tank Facility Plan Application
Temporary Stormwater Section
- Form TCEQ-0602 (PDF, )
Permanent Stormwater Section
Core Data Form
Who can I contact if I need help?
If you are located in Williamson, Travis, or Hays County, call the TCEQ’s Austin Regional Office at 512-339-2929. For help in Comal, Bexar, Medina, Uvalde, or Kinney County, call TCEQ’s San Antonio Regional Office at 210-490-3096.