Groundwater Conservation Districts
The Groundwater Planning and Assessment team processes, reviews, and facilitates landowner petitions for creating groundwater conservation districts. The team evaluates filed legislative bills that create new or modify existing Groundwater Conservation Districts (GCDs). The TCEQ creates GCDs within Priority Groundwater Management Areas (PGMAs). The team processes and coordinates limited oversight of GCDs relating to groundwater management plans and joint-district planning in common groundwater management areas, providing educational and technical assistance upon request.
- Map of Texas GCDs (April 2014, pdf)
- Summary Description of GCDs (April 2014, pdf)
- Contact List for Created and Confirmed GCDs (April 2014, pdf)
- Priority Groundwater Management Areas and Groundwater Conservation Districts, Report to the 83rd Texas Legislature (TCEQ SFR-053/08, January 2013, pdf)
- TCEQ District Registration Form (TCEQ-00179, October 2004, pdf)
- Carrizo-Wilcox Aquifer Study - Final Contract Report (University of Texas Bureau of Economic Geology, March 2011, pdf)
- Texas Alliance of Groundwater Districts web site
- Texas Water Development Board Groundwater webpage
- 30 TAC, Chapter 293, Subchapter C
- Groundwater Conservation Districts (The Natural Outlook, Winter 2010)
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Publications
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service on-line Bookstore offers a number of publications on groundwater management such as:
- "Managing Texas Groundwater Resources Through Groundwater Conservation Districts" (B-1612)
- "Questions About Groundwater Conservation Districts in Texas" (B-6120)
- "Groundwater Conservation Districts: Success Stories" (B-6087)
- "Priority Groundwater Management Areas: Overview and Frequently Asked Questions (B-6191)"
Free electronic downloads of these publications (add an “e” in front of the publication number) are also available after setting up an account.