What Are the Interstate River Compact Commissions?
Texas is a member of five interstate river compacts. Each of these compacts is an agreement to water rights in a specific river basin, dividing the rights to that water between the member states. Each compact is administered by a commission that protects each member state’s rights under that compact:
- Canadian River Compact Commission
- Pecos River Compact Commission
- Red River Compact Commission
- Rio Grande Compact Commission
- Sabine River Compact Commission
We maintain the database of river flows, diversions, and other technical information needed to administer these compacts.