Radioactive Material: Am I Regulated?
If you use, handle, process, transport, transfer, receive, store, or dispose of radioactive material in Texas, you could be regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) , Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), or Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC).
- receipt, processing, storage and disposal of by-product and low-level radioactive waste from radioactive waste brokers .
- licensing uranium and thorium recovery facilities including the disposal of uranium and thorium by-product wastes
- the decommissioning of inactive uranium-recovery facilities and radioactive material disposal sites.
- regulate and license the possession, receipt, use, handling, transfer, transport, and storage of all radioactive material, including low-level radioactive materials and naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) except for that radioactive material received by a licensed by-product or low-level radioactive waste disposal facility.
- register radiation-producing equipment
- operate an emergency response program
Various oil and gas–related activities are regulated by the Railroad Commission of Texas , including:
- uranium exploration
- surface mining
- the disposal of oil and gas NORM
Contact us if you have questions.