Applying for a Radioactive Material License
A radioactive material license is needed by all persons or businesses who wish to do any of the following in the State of Texas:
- source material (uranium) recovery,
- radioactive waste processing and storage,
- commercial by-product material disposal,
- low-level radioactive waste disposal,
- disposal of NORM waste from public water systems, and
- alternative methods of disposal (i.e., above ground radioactive waste disposal)
Note that the Department of State Health Services - Radiation Program also issues radioactive material licenses. Please check with them to ensure that you have all radioactive material permits and licenses which may be required by your business.
To obtain a license to handle, process, store radioactive waste, or recover source material in Texas, you must complete and submit these items:
- A General Application for Radioactive Material License (available in or ). To obtain a copy of this form, please contact us.The form is broken down into parts A and B:
- Part A deals with applicant information, facility and source information, type of license action requested, license fee information, public notice information, delinquent fees and penalties, and applicant signature.
- Part B covers additional technical information that is required as part of the application under Texas Health & Safety Code Chapter 401 and Title 30 Texas Administrative Code 305.45, 305.54, 336.205, 336.207, 336.613, 336.615, 336.704-11, 336.1007, 336.1109, 336.1111, 336.1211, and 336.1213, as applicable. This information must be submitted according to applicable requirements of the Texas Engineering Practice Act, the Texas Geoscience Practice Act, and the Professional Land Surveying Practices Act.
- Additional information to meet the requirements of 30 TAC Chapters 305 (Consolidated Permits) and 336 (Radioactive Substance Rules).
- Additional information on the process to amend a Radioactive Material License can be found on the major and minor amendment flow chart
- Radioactive Material License Payment Submission Form (available in or ). To obtain a copy of this form, please contact us. Application fees are based on the type of license being requested, as well as the license action (for example, amendment). To find the amount of your application fee, review 30 TAC 336.105. This form is for application fees only — do not use it to pay annual fees.
- Publisher's Affidavit for Public Notice Form (available in or ). To obtain a copy of this form, please contact us.
Contact us if you have any questions.