Municipal Solid Waste Management and Resource Recovery Advisory Council
- About This Advisory Council
- 2017 Meeting Dates and Agendas
- Highlights of Meetings
- For Additional Information
Municipal Solid Waste Management and Resource Recovery Advisory Council (Council) members are appointed for six-year staggered terms by the TCEQ Commissioners. The legislative act can be found in the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 363, Sections 041-046.
The Advisory Council shall:
- review and evaluate the effect of state policies and programs on municipal solid waste management;
- make recommendations to the TCEQ Commissioners on matters relating to municipal solid waste management;
- recommend legislation to encourage the efficient management of municipal sold waste;
- recommend policies for the use, allocation, or distribution of the planning fund that includes:
- identification of statewide priorities for use of funds;
- the manner and form of application for financial assurance; and
- criteria, in addition to those to be evaluated in establishing priorites for providing financial assistance to applicants;
- recommend special studies and projects to further the effectiveness of municipal solid waste management and resource recovery.
- Thursday, January 19, 2017 - The draft agenda will be posted once approved.
- Thursday, April 20, 2017
- Thursday, July 13, 2017
- Thursday, October 12, 2017
- January 9, 2014 - January Highlights
- April 10, 2014 - April Highlights
- July 10, 2014 - July Highlights
- October 9, 2014 - October Highlights
- January 15, 2015 - January Highlights
- April 9, 2015 - April Highlights
- July 9, 2015 - July Highlights
- December 10, 2015 - December Highlights
- February 11, 2016 - February Highlights
- April 8, 2016 - April Highlights
- July 14, 2016 - July Highlights
- October 13, 2016 - To be posted once approved at the next meeting.
Members represent various interests, which include city and county solid waste agencies, public solid waste districts or authorities, commercial solid waste landfills, planning regions, environmental perspectives, city and county governments, financial advisors, registered waste tire processors, professional engineers, solid waste professionals, composting/recycling companies and the general public representatives.
Term Expiration 8/31/2017:
Arden Vance Kemler, Denton - Advisory Council President
Manager of Solid Waste and Recycling Department, City of Denton
An official from a city or county solid waste agency.
Jeffrey Mayfield, P.E., Wylie
North Texas Municipal Water District, Assistant Deputy Director, Solid Waste
A representative from a public solid waste district or authority.
Honorable Maurice Pitts, Jr., Giddings
Lee County Commissioner of Precinct One
An elected official from a county with any population size.
Honorable City Administrator Leo Smith, Bangs
A representative of the general public.
An elected official from a municipality with a population fewer than 25,000.
An elected official from a municipality with a population of 750,000 or more.
Term Expiration 8/31/2019:
Honorable City Council Member Tim Davis, Temple
An elected official from a municipality with a population between 25,000 and 100,000.
Yvette Salinas, San Benito
A representative of the general public.
Scott Trebus, P.E., Tomball
Republic Waste Industries
A representative from a solid waste management organization composed primarily of commercial operators.
Risa Weinberger, P.E., Dallas
Risa Weinberger & Associates, Inc.
A person who is experienced in the management and operation of a composting or recycling facility or an educator with knowledge of the design and management of solid waste facilities.
David Yanke, Austin
NewGen Strategies & Solutions, LLC
A representative of the financial community.
An elected official from a municipality with a population between 100,000 or more but less than 750,000.
Term Expiration 8/31/2021:
Heather Douglas, Dallas
North Texas Corporate Recycling Association
A representative from a private environmental conservation organization.
Robert (Holly) Holder, P.E., Lubbock
Parkhill, Smith & Cooper, Inc.
A professional engineer from a private engineering firm with experience in the design and management of solid waste facilities.
Kevin Martinolich, Baytown
Liberty Tire Services
A registered waste tire processor.
Cheryl Mergo, Houston
Houston-Galveston Area Council
A representative from a planning region.
Charles (Chuck) Rivette, P.E., Houston
Waste Management of Texas, Southeast Texas Landfills
A solid waste professional with experience managing or operating a commercial solid waste landfill.
Honorable Commissioner Jim Wolverton, Seguin
Guadalupe County Commissioner
An elected official from a county with a population less than 150,000.
For Additional Information
Please contact the Waste Permits Division, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and type "MSW Advisory Council" in the subject line.
Standard Mailing Address: Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Waste Permits Division, P.O. Box 13087, MC-126, Austin, TX 78711-3087
Overnight Mailing Address: Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Waste Permits Division, 12100 Park 35 Circle, Bldg. A, MC-126, Austin, TX 78753
Note: If directing others to this webpage, you may provide the abbreviated address: