Request for Nominations to the MSW Advisory Council
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is requesting nominations for six individuals to serve on the Municipal Solid Waste Management and Resource Recovery Advisory Council (Council) for the following positions. The appointments will be made by the TCEQ Commissioners.
- An elected official from a city with a population between 25,000 and 100,000 (expires August 31, 2013);
- A representative of the financial community (expires August 31, 2013);
- A representative from a solid waste management organization composed primarily of commercial operators (expires August 31, 2013);
- Two representatives from the “general public” (one position expires August 31, 2011; the 2nd position expires August 31, 2013). To qualify for this position, the individual must not qualify for any of the other sixteen Council categories; and
- A person who is experienced in the management and operation of a composting or recycling facility or an educator with knowledge of the design and management of solid waste facilities (expires August 31, 2013).
The Council was created by the 69th Legislature in 1983. Members represent various interests; i.e., city and county solid waste agencies, public solid waste district or authority, commercial solid waste landfill operators, planning regions, an environmentalist, city and county officials, financial advisor, registered waste tire processor, professional engineer, solid waste professional, composting/recycling manager and two general public representatives.
Upon request from the TCEQ Commissioners, the Council reviews and evaluates the effect of state policies and programs on municipal solid waste management; makes recommendations on matters relating to municipal solid waste management; recommends legislation to encourage the efficient management of municipal solid waste; recommends policies for the use, allocation, or distribution of the planning fund; and recommends special studies and projects to further the effectiveness of municipal solid waste management and recovery for the state of Texas.
The Council members are required by law to hold at least one meeting every three months. The meetings usually last one day and are held in Austin, Texas. Limited travel funds may be available. Additional information about the Council is available at:
To nominate an individual: 1) ensure the individual is qualified for the position which he/she is being considered; 2) submit a biographical summary which includes work experience; and 3) provide the nominee a copy of this request. The nominee needs to submit a letter indicating his/her agreement to serve, if appointed.
All applications and nominations should clearly indicate for which position they wish to be considered and that they meet the requirements for the specific position. If applying for “a representative for the general public” position, applicants must not have any conflicts of interest and will be asked for additional information.
The deadline for written nominations and letters from nominees must be received by the TCEQ by 5:00 p.m., on July 13, 2007. The appointments will be considered at a future Commissioner’s Work Session in Austin, Texas.
Please submit all correspondence to:
Steve Hutchinson, Waste Permits Division, TCEQ, P.O. Box 13087, MC 126, Austin, Texas 78711-3087 or fax (512) 239-2007. Questions regarding the Council can be directed to Mr. Hutchinson at (512) 239-6716, or E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.