Nonhazardous Industrial Waste Storage or Treatment: The Permitting Process
Information for preparing and obtaining an industrial solid waste permit is found in 30 Texas Administrative Code (TAC)305.50. Processing a non-hazardous waste permit may take up to 450 days. The application forms referenced on this page may be found in Hazardous and Industrial Waste Forms and Other Permitting Information.
The TCEQ adopted amendments to 30 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 39, Public Notice, requiring newspaper notice in an alternative language for certain permit applications. These rule amendments were adopted on November 9, 2005 and became effective on November 30, 2005. Applications filed on or after November 30, 2005, will be subject to the alternative language notice newspaper publication requirements. A checklist for determining whether the alternative language notice requirement applies to a particular industrial solid waste permit application is included in the TCEQ Nonhazardous Waste Permit application. This form, along with notice language templates translated into Spanish, and the Public Notice Verification Form, are available in Hazardous and Industrial Waste Forms and Other Permitting Information.
- Complete and submit a permit application package, which may
include these items:
- An original and three copies of the Permit Application to Store or Process Industrial Nonhazardous Waste (form TCEQ-0024). The application forms referenced on this page may be found in Hazardous and Industrial Waste Forms and Other Permitting Information.
- Application Fee, to be submitted to the TCEQ Financial Administrative Division (a copy of the check is to be included in the application)
- Preprinted mailing labels for adjacent landowners or an electronic mailing list on diskette in WordPerfect for Windows 6.1 format, and
- Core Data Form (please submit with the Permit Application) Instructions for the Core Data Form
- Prepare a mailing list identifying all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13
- Submit the mailing list, the Non-hazardous Waste Permit
application, and copy of the check by certified mail or other means
that establish proof of delivery to:
TCEQ Waste Permits Division (MC-126)
PO Box 13087
Austin, TX 78711-3087;
- At the same time you submit the permit application, send the
check for payment (be sure to write your Solid Waste Registration
Number on the check or submit the check with a copy of the permit
application) of the application fee to:
TCEQ Financial Administration Division (MC-214)
PO Box 13088
Austin, TX 78711-3088;
- The application will receive two reviews: administrative and technical;
- After the application is determined to be administratively complete, place a copy of the permit application and supporting documents in a location accessible to the public in the vicinity of the permitted facility;
- We will send notice that the application is Administratively complete and available for public review, by first class mail to all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13. Notice language for publication and instructions will be provided to the applicant by the Agency;
- A public meeting may be held regarding an application for a new facility, in accordance with 30 TAC 39.503(e)(4). The meeting will be held during the technical review period;
- If a public meeting is held, you must publish a notice in a major local newspaper of general circulation at least once each week during the 3 weeks before a public meeting which will be held in the county where the facility is located. Specific requirements of the notice are found in 30 TAC 39.5(g)(4). Notice language will be provided by the agency. We will send notice of the public meeting by first class mail to all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13;
- At the conclusion of the technical review, we will prepare a technical summary which sets forth the principal factual, legal, methodological, and policy questions considered in preparing the draft permit. We shall send this summary, together with the draft permit to you and on request, to any other person;
- After all comments on the initial draft permit are received, we will complete the final draft permit;
- Additional notice language for publication, and instructions, will be provided to the applicant by the agency within 10 working days of completion of the final draft permit. As set out in 30 TAC 39.503, publication of the notice opens a public comment period. We must also notify all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13; and
- Within 10 working days of determing the outcome of the final draft permit, we must notify all persons listed in 30 TAC 39.13 and all persons who submitted written comments on the final draft of our decision to approve or deny the permit.
To view some of the relevant rules regarding hazardous and non-hazardous waste, click here.
Contact us if you have questions.