Municipal Liquid Waste Processing
If you accept municipal liquid waste for processing, you must notify the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and obtain a permit or registration unless the activity is conducted at a permitted landfill.
- Permit or Registration for Fixed Processing Facility
- Registration for Mobile Processing Unit
- Processing at a Permitted Landfill
- Registration for Experimental Processing Facilities
- Applying for a Registration or Permit
- For More Information
Permit or Registration for Fixed Processing Facility
Operations Requiring a Registration
An MSW processing facility that processes only grease trap waste, grit trap waste from commercial car washes, or septage or a combination of these wastes may do so under a registration according to Title 30 Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC), Chapter 330, Section (§) 330.9(g) , if any of the following conditions are met:
- The facility attains a 10 percent recovery of material for beneficial use from the incoming waste
- The processing facility is located within the permit boundaries of a commission-permitted Type I landfill
- The processing facility is located at a manned public wastewater treatment facility permitted to discharge at least one million gallons per day
Facilities meeting any of these exemptions may obtain a registration by following the procedures in §§330.57–330.73 and meeting the operational criteria and design criteria established in Chapter 330, Subchapter E .
Operations Requiring a Permit
All other fixed liquid waste processing facilities must apply for a permit under 30 TAC §330.57 .
Registration for Mobile Processing Unit
Under 30 TAC §330.9(h) , a registration is required for a mobile liquid waste processing unit that processes grease trap waste, grit trap waste from commercial car washes, or septage or a combination of these wastes. Mobile liquid waste processing units must obtain a registration by following the applicable procedures in §330.9(h) and §§330.57–330.65 and meeting the operational criteria and design criteria in Chapter 330, Subchapter E .
Processing at a Permitted Landfill
Under 30 TAC §330.11(d) , a separate permit is not required for the storage or processing of grease trap waste, grit trap waste, or septage that contains free liquids if the waste is treated or processed at a permitted Type I MSW landfill, provided the landfill facility complies with the notification requirements of §330.11 (a)-(c) . The notification requirement may be satisfied by submitting a permit modification, with notice, following the procedures in §305.70(e) . The permit modification should address the applicable rules in §330.63 , §330.65 , and Chapter 330, Subchapter E (such as waste acceptance, waste management unit design, unit closure, and unit operating procedures).
Registration for Experimental Processing Facilities
Under 30 TAC §330.9(i) , a permit is not required for an MSW Type VI facility that demonstrates new management methods for processing or handling grease trap waste, grit trap waste from car washes, or septage or a combination of these three liquid wastes. Facilities meeting this exemption must obtain a registration by following the procedures in §330.57–§330.73 and meeting the operational criteria and design criteria established in Chapter 330, Subchapter E .
Applying for a Registration or Permit
To apply for a registration or permit for a municipal liquid waste processing facility:
- Follow the permit and registration application procedures in 30 TAC §§330.57-330.73
- Review administrative and technical review checklists
- Type V Liquid Waste Processing Permit Checklist
- Type V Liquid Waste Processing Registration Checklist
- Complete the Part I Application Form
- Complete the TCEQ Core Data Form
- Using the outline for preparing closure cost estimate for financial assurance, determine and obtain the appropriate amount of financial assurance required by 30 TAC §330.505
- Complete a Correspondence Cover Sheet (Form TCEQ-20714)
- Submit your completed Correspondence Cover Sheet, Part I form, Core Data Form, proof of financial assurance, and the application materials required by 30 TAC §§330.57-65 to the TCEQ at the address on the Part I form
- Review air quality requirements and obtain any required authorizations
For More Information
Contact us if you have questions about municipal liquid waste processing.