Use of Land Over Closed Municipal Solid Waste Landfills
- Municipal Landfills in Post-Closure Care
- All Other Closed Municipal Landfills
- Rules, Forms, and Guidance
- For More Information
Municipal Landfills in Post-Closure Care
Use of land over a permitted municipal solid waste landfill (MSW) facility that is closed, but currently in post-closure care is regulated under the rules in 30 TAC Chapter 330, Section (§) 330.954(c) .
All Other Closed Municipal Landfills
Use of land over any other type of closed MSW landfill (including permitted municipal solid waste landfills that are no longer in post-closure care, closed landfills that were developed before permitting requirements, and closed, unauthorized landfills) is regulated if the use involves a structure that would disturb the cover. The requirements for the use depend on whether the structure is enclosed or non-enclosed, as described in the following paragraphs.
Owners of enclosed structures developed prior to September 1, 1993, over deposited waste are required to obtain a registration following the requirements in 30 TAC §330.954(d) .
A person proposing to develop an enclosed structure after September 1, 1993, over deposited waste must obtain a permit following the requirements in 30 TAC §330.954(a) .
Non-Enclosed Structures and Other Disturbances of Final Cover
A person proposing any other activity or development (including borings, fenceposts, piers, foundations, recreational facilities, etc.) that would disturb the final cover of a closed municipal solid waste landfill must have prior written approval from the executive director of the TCEQ, in accordance with 30 TAC §330.954(e) .
Rules, Forms, and Guidance:
- Use of Land Over Closed MSW Landfills – 30 TAC Chapter 330, Subchapter T
- Permit/Registration Application Form for an Enclosed Structure Over a Closed MSW Landfill (Form TCEQ-10310)
- Application Procedures for Permit or Registration for Development of Land Over a Closed MSW Landfill
- Questions and Answers Regarding Development Over Closed Landfills
For More Information
Contact us if you have questions about post-closure land use.