Water-Right Permits: Annual Water-Use Report
Who needs to submit an annual water-use report?
Holders of water-right permits, issued by the TCEQ, are required to submit a water-use report each year.
As a holder of a water-right permit, you are required to submit a report, even if you did not use any appropriated water.
If you do not use a water-right permit—or use it but not report it—for a period of 10 years, we could cancel it. During the 83rd Legislature, 2013, House Bill 2615 was passed. Effective September 1, 2013, a person who fails to file is liable for a penalty each day in an amount not to exceed:
- (1) $100 per day for a water right authorizing 5,000 acre-feet or less per year; or
- (2) $500 per day for a water right authorizing more than 5,000 acre-feet per year.
Where can I get an annual water-use report form?
We mail water-use reports to holders of water-right permits in January of each year. If you have not received your water-use report(s), you may download a copy of the form(s) using the following links:
- Report of Surface Water Used for the Year Ending Dec. 31, 2011 (TCEQ-10316_October2012.docx) (Word or PDF)
When are reports due?
Water-use reports are due on March 1 of each year. You may be subject to a fine for non-reporting.
Where do I send my report?
Mail completed forms to the Water Rights Permitting Team at the address below.
What do I need to do if I have sold property with a water right?
Contact the Water Rights Permitting Team at 512-239-4691.
What steps do I need to take if I have purchased or obtained property with a water right?
The new owner must:
Who should I notify if I no longer use my water right?
Where can I find more information about these requirements?
The Texas Water Code outlines the annual reporting requirements for holders of water-right permits as well as the penalties for failing to follow the law.
Where can I find additional information?
- Water Rights: Am I Regulated? - Brief overview of water rights, with links to related information and relevant application forms
- Rights to Surface Water in Texas (GI-228) - This guidance document provides a review of rights to access surface water under Texas law and agency rules.
- Water Right Permit Applications - Links to permanent and temporary water-right application forms, plus agency contacts
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Water Rights Permitting Team
Phone: 512-239-4691Mailing Address:
Water Rights Permitting - MC 160
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 13087
Austin TX 78711-3087
Small Business and Local Government Assistance Section