South Texas Solvents
The South Texas Solvents site is located approximately 4 miles south of Banquete at the intersection of Farm Road 666 and County Road 32. Initially, the 5-acre site was the location for a gasoline blending plant, which operated from 1939 through 1968. It is unclear what activities took place at the site from 1968 to 1980. From 1980 through 1983, the site was occupied by a waste oil and solvents recovery company. The company reclaimed various solvents (chlorinated and nonchlorinated) by filtration, distillation, or both.
Superfund Actions Taken to Date
- July 25, 1986, a legal notice was published in the Texas Register (11 TexReg 3421-3422) announcing a series of public meetings across the state to collect information on constituting the initial state Superfund registry, and announcing public meetings to receive citizen comments would be held at the Coastal Bend Council of Governments Conference Room in Corpus Christi on August 26, 1986, and a second hearing would be held at the Stephen F. Austin Building in Austin on August 28, 1986.
- January 16, 1987, South Texas Solvents became 1 of 10 sites listed on the first Superfund registry.
- September 1, 1993, effective date of the creation of the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission from the joining of the Texas Water Commission and the Texas Air Control Board and a portion of the Texas Department of Health.
- November 22, 1995 the final report was approved, marking completion of the remedial investigation/feasibility study phase.
- March 5, 1996, a legal notice was published in the Texas Register (21 TexReg 1718-1837) announcing a public meeting would be held on May 7, 1996 at the Nueces County Community Services Banquete Senior Center to present to the community the best choice among cleanup remedies and to receive citizen comments to be considered in the final recommended remedy.
- May 7, 1996, a public meeting was held at the Nueces County Community Services Banquete Senior Center to receive comments on the proposed cleanup alternative, which was excavation, off-site transport/disposal, or incineration.
- November 25, 1997, TNRCC issued a final administrative order, directing the potentially responsible party to perform or fund the remedial design and remedial action for the cleanup. The order set cleanup levels, selected the remedy for cleanup, and established rules, responsibilities and enforcement options for remedial design/remedial action under state Superfund process.
- December 5, 1997, effective date of the final administrative order.
- March 4, 1998, remedial design of the selected site remedy was completed.
- March 26, 1998, remedial action under way.
- August 25, 1998, remedial action completed.
- October 30, 1998, a legal notice was published in the Texas Register (23 TexReg
11243-11244) proposing to delete the site from the state Superfund registry in accordance with 30 TAC §335.344(c), and inviting public comment on the determination that the site no longer presented an imminent and substantial endangerment to public health and safety or the environment. No further remedial action planned.
- December 18, 1998, a legal notice was published in the Texas Register (23 TexReg 12962-12963) officially deleting the South Texas Solvents site from the state Superfund registry in accordance with 30 TAC §335.344(c). No challenges or comments were received to the determination that the site no longer presented an imminent and substantial endangerment to public health and safety or the environment. No further remedial action planned.
- September 1, 2002, effective date of the name change from Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission (TNRCC) to Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).