Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Questions or Comments:
You are here: Home / Emergency Response / Smoke, Dust and Soot / West Fertilizer Plant Explosion: What You Need to Know About Cleanup

West Fertilizer Plant Explosion: What You Need to Know About Cleanup

We are here to assist you with resources to help with the cleanup following the devastating disaster in West, Texas. This page will guide you to those resources.

Follow these guidelines to dispose of wastes properly:

If you have questions, contact TCEQ Region 9, Waco, which serves McLennan county. Also, be sure to check with local authorities for their guidance.

Think Recycling First!

Although most materials are not recyclable if damaged by fire, much of the metal, brick, and other debris might be recyclable.

Before you haul anything to a recycling center, call to find out:

  • What materials they will accept.
  • Whether they will accept materials damaged by fire.
  • Whether they charge a fee for recycling. (This depends on the material and its condition. If the material is valuable enough, they might pay you for it.)

Contact local authorities for more information or search the Web for "recycling," your town's name, and "Texas."

Find an Appropriate Landfill

Many wastes can and should be taken to the landfill. Use the guidance below and this list of landfills to find an appropriate landfill near you.

Active municipal solid waste landfills accepting waste from West, Texas:

View Landfill Disposal Options for Debris from the West, TX Explosion in a larger map

Disposing of Typical Wastes From a Disaster

West and its residents will need to dispose of debris. Follow these guidelines to dispose of debris properly.

Cleaning up Debris

Remember some of the debris could be recyclable. Follow these guidelines to separate debris according to type and dispose of it properly:

See lists of landfills above.

For more information about debris management, call the TCEQ Debris Hotline at 800-687-7057.

Outdoor Burning in Texas

The TCEQ offers this publication (RG-49) to help you interpret the Outdoor Burning Rule (30 TAC 111.201-221).