Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Complaint Arrow Questions or Comments:
You are here: Home / Licensing / Licenses and Registration Information / Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT)

Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT)

How to obtain a license to test backflow prevention assembly on any water system.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) promulgated new and revised rules on September 27, 2007 which will affect many licensing programs.

Please review the URL below to become acquainted with the Texas Water Code Chapter 37 Exit the TCEQ, Title 30 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 30 Exit the TCEQ and Chapter 290. 

Backflow Prevention Assembly (BPAT) Program

The Backflow Assembly Tester Program staff can answer routine operator inquiries. Below is the phone number and other means for contacting the program:

  • Location - The first floor in building D of the TCEQ complex located at 12100 Park 35 Circle in Austin, Texas.
  • Office Hours - 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday (excluding Exit the TCEQ holidays).
  • Phone number - 512/239-6133
    • Press #1 for New Applications or Exams
    • Press #2 for Renewals
  • Fax - 512/239-6272
  • Email address -
  • Mailing Address - TCEQ, Backflow Assembly Tester Program, MC-178, PO Box 13087, Austin, TX 78711-3087

Return to top

Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester

Return to top 

Why do I need a license?

In accordance with state law, Texas Water Code Chapter 37 Exit the TCEQ, Title 30 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 30 Exit the TCEQ and Chapter 290, a person who repairs or tests the installation or operation of backflow prevention assemblies must hold a license issued by the TCEQ.

How do I become licensed?

To become licensed as a Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester, you must have the required education and experience, complete the related training and pay an application fee.

Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Licensing Information
License Type Validity Period Application Fee Education for Renewal Experience Required Training Credit Exam Required *
BPAT 3 Years $111 High School Diploma or GED 2 years 40 hours Yes
* The exam is given as part of the required 40 hour BPAT course.

Return to top of Operator Section 

What type of training must I complete for a license?

You must take a 40 hour Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester course (Course Code 1200). To view a list of approved training providers, click here.

Return to top of Operator Section 

What do I need to know about an application?

Return to top of Operator Section 

Where can I obtain an application?

Applications are available through the Training Provider, the TCEQ's BPAT Program in the Austin central office or at any TCEQ regional office. The application must be completed in full, signed, dated and submitted with the appropriate application fee (check or money order only). All fees are non-refundable.

Return to top of Application Section 

What do I need to provide with an application?

In addition to the standard information (name, address, social security number), you will need to submit supporting documentation such as:

  • Copy of certificate of completion for unverified training
  • Copy of college transcripts used for experience substitution
  • Copy of current out-of-state license (if applying for reciprocity)

All statements and qualifications provided by each applicant are subject to verification.

Return to top of Application Section 

When do I pay the application fee?

You must pay the application fee when you submit the application. The application fee is valid for one year.

Return to top of Application Section 

What if my application is deficient?

Applicants who are deficient after an initial review by the staff may be asked to submit supplemental information for consideration if the staff determines that the original application did not contain all relevant information. The applicant must submit this information within 120 days of notification of deficiency or the examination, application and fee will become invalid.

Application fees are not refundable. 

Return to top of Application Section 

What is acceptable experience?

Approved areas of work include:

  • Operating or maintaining a public drinking water system
  • Installing or repairing residential, commercial, or industrial drinking water treatment equipment
  • Installing or repairing lawn irrigation systems
  • Performing activities requiring a master or journeyman plumbing license
  • Installing or servicing fire suppression sprinkler systems and lines
  • Operating or maintaining a domestic wastewater treatment facility
  • Performing health inspections that requires a registered sanitarian
  • Performing duties approved by the executive director

Up to 1 year of the experience requirement may be substituted with 1 year of college (32 semester hours) or 20 hours of additional approved training credits.

Return to top of Operator Section 

If I hold a license in another state, can I transfer it to Texas?

Texas issues licenses of reciprocity on a case-by-case basis with all other states. To be considered for reciprocity:

  • You must hold a current BPAT license
  • Your license must have been obtained by exam
  • The license must be mandatory under the other state's laws
  • The equivalent education, training, experience, and fee requirements for the type and class of Texas license being applied for have been met.

Return to top of Operator Section

How do I renew my license?

You will be mailed a renewal notification to the last known address on file at least 60 days before your license expires. This notification will give you instructions for renewing your license using the Texas Online license renewal process.

If you are unable to renew on-line, please contact our office immediately to receive a printed renewal application. You can contact the TCEQ Licensing Section at or phone (512) 239-6133. Please be sure to include your full name and license number with your request. Remember, it is your responsibility to timely submit a renewal application.

Credit is given for attendance at TCEQ-approved training courses, correspondence courses, seminars and association meetings on the basis of one credit hour per hour of attendance.

To check how many credit hours you currently have on file, click here.

To renew this license class ...You must obtain this much continuing education ...You must pay a renewal fee of ...The license will remain valid for an additional ...
BPAT 24 Hours which include 8 hours of approved practical skills training $ 111 3 years

Renewal applications are mailed to the operator's address on file. The TCEQ is not responsible for undelivered mail.

Return to top of Operator Section 

What are some of my responsibilities to the TCEQ?

The operator is responsible for:

  • Notifying the Austin central office of any address changes
  • Maintaining personal training records, including:
    • Name of training course
    • Location of training course
    • Name of training provider and
    • Date of training course 

I lost my license or pocket card. How do I replace it?

To replace your lost license, you can contact the licensing section at (512) 239-6133 or download the request form. The replacement license is $20.00. Be certain to specify whether you are ordering a wall certificate or pocket card (license card).

Return to top of Operator Section