Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Questions or Comments:
You are here: Home / Utilities and Districts / Water Utility Programs Transferring to the PUC

Water Utility Programs Transferring to the PUC

On Sept. 1, 2014, the TCEQ will transfer responsibility for the water utility rate and certificate of convenience and necessity programs to the Public Utility Commission of Texas. This transfer is required by the PUC’s Sunset legislation (HB 1600) adopted in 2013.


NOTE: The PUC will handle applications for the programs they will be regulating, but applicants must still comply with all associated TCEQ rules and requirements.

Who may be affected by the transfer?

  • investor-owned utilities
  • water supply corporations
  • city and county-owned utilities
  • wastewater utilities
  • anyone interested in the policies, rates and operations of a public or private water utility in Texas

What applications are affected?

Applications affected by the transfer include:

  • rate/tariff changes
  • CCN-related applications

Where do I pay my regulatory assessment fee?

Continue to pay your regulatory assessment fee to the TCEQ even after the program transfers. The revenues from these fees will support the remaining water programs at the TCEQ and the utilities programs transferred to the PUC.

What if my application hasn't been decided yet?

The TCEQ will continue to manage the water utility rate and CCN programs through Aug. 31, 2014.

Any application at the TCEQ that has not been decided by that date will transfer to the PUC on Sept. 1, 2014. For example, if on Aug. 31, 2014:

  • an application is under technical review by the TCEQ, the technical review will continue at the PUC
  • an application is at the State Office of Administrative Hearings, the SOAH-related activities associated with that application, such as the preliminary hearing and the hearing on the merits, will become the responsibility of the PUC
  • the TCEQ has referred an application to SOAH and a proposal for decision has not been considered, it will be handled by the PUC.
Visit the PUC Website

Find more information on the PUC's activities associated with the transferring programs: