2010 Texas Surface Water Quality Standards
At the June 30, 2010 TCEQ Commission Agenda, the Commissioners adopted revisions to the “Texas Surface Water Quality Standards”, as codified by rule in the Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Title 30, Chapter 307. The 2010 Standards became effective as a state rule on July 22, 2010.
The 2010 Standards revisions and supporting documentation were submitted to EPA for review and approval on August 4, 2010. EPA provides notice to TCEQ whenever approval or other actions are taken on portions of the revised standards. The EPA must approve the 2010 Standards in order for them to be used for federal permitting programs and other Clean Water Act purposes. During EPA’s review of the 2010 Standards, both the 1997 and 2000 Standards will continue to be used in federal permitting programs such as the TPDES program.
- 2010 Standards Background Information
- EPA Review of the 2010 Water Quality Standards
- The 2010 Standards and Associated Documents
- Staff Contact
2010 Standards Background Information
EPA Review of the 2010 Standards
The EPA has finalized the third round of approvals and disapprovals of the 2010 Standards in an action letter dated July 2, 2013. All of the revisions to the rule have been acted on by EPA with the exception of the following revisions to Appendix A regarding site-specific criteria for designated segments: revised temperature criteria for three segments (0410, 1811, and 1814) and revised dissolved minerals criteria for 19 segments (0307, 0410, 0507, 0803, 0812, 0821, 1206, 1227, 1238, 1240, 1241, 1411, 1412, 1413, 1421, 1426, 1433, 2106, and 2116).
A highlighted version of the 2010 Standards rule language has been provided to more clearly demonstrate which sections of the standards the EPA has taken action on pursuant to the three action letters. A key is provided at the beginning of the document to specify what portions of the 2010 Standards the EPA has approved, disapproved, taken no action, or is still reviewing. This document will be updated as additional EPA action letters are received.
- EPA’s July 2, 2013 letter
- EPA's August 24, 2012 letter
- EPA's June 29, 2011 letter
- Highlighted version of rule language
Information regarding additional EPA actions will be provided at this website as they are received.
The 2010 Standards and Associated Documents
Final Texas Surface Water Quality Standards, Chapter 307 Rule Amendment (adopted June 30, 2010) - The final rule is being reviewed by the EPA in consultation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Executive Summary of Rule Amendment - Texas Surface Water Quality Standards
- Final Preamble to Chapter 307 Rule Amendment - The preamble describes the Water Quality Standards rule amendment which the commission adopted, provides other information required under state law, and includes a detailed response to all public comments.
- A public hearing was held on March 11th to receive comments on both documents.
Audio recording of the hearing(mp3, 38 MB)
For more information on the Water Quality Standards (30 TAC Chapter 307), contact Debbie Miller by telephone at 512/239-1703 or by e-mail at email@example.com. You can also contact Ms. Miller by fax at 512/239-4410 or by postal service at TCEQ, MC-234, PO BOX 13087, Austin, Texas 78711-3087.