Clear Fork Trinity River: Evaluating Water Quality for Aquatic Life
Counties: Parker, Tarrant
Parameter: Dissolved oxygen
River Basin: Trinity
Segments: 0831, 0832
Background and Goals
This project focuses the two uppermost river segments of the Clear Fork Trinity River: Clear Fork Trinity above Lake Weatherford (Segment 0833) and Clear Fork Trinity below Lake Weatherford (Segment 0831). Both watersheds are predominantly rural; however, rapidly increasing urban populations are changing the landscape of this watershed.
Water quality assessment indicated that concentrations of dissolved oxygen in those segments of the river were not optimal for supporting aquatic life. However, data and information about the river suggested that the water quality standards for the segments might not be appropriate. Some criteria for evaluating attainability of the uses in specific water bodies are presumed if there are insufficient data to formulate site-specific criteria. The upper segments of the Clear Fork Trinity River have a presumed aquatic life standard.
The TMDL Program conducted a project to study the causes of low dissolved oxygen in the stream and to evaluate whether the agency should develop a total maximum daily load (TMDL) or a use attainability analysis (UAA).
This project was a collaborative effort involving the TCEQ, the Texas Institute for Applied Environmental Research, the Trinity River Authority, and the Tarrant Regional Water District. To involve area stakeholders in the project, the TMDL Program worked with an existing stakeholder forum, the Trinity River Basin Steering Committee created by the Texas Clean Rivers Program. The steering committee includes representatives from state and federal agencies, cities, industries, citizen groups, local governments, universities, water districts, agriculture groups, and other water user groups.
The final project report, Technical Use Attainability Analysis, Clear Fork Trinity River (Stream Segments 0831 and 0833) was submitted in April 2003. The report is being reviewed by staff of the TCEQ’s Water Quality Standards program to determine if changes to the use or criteria are warranted. For information about the status of the UAA, call 512-239-6682 and ask to speak to a member of the Standards team.
These documents are provided in PDF.
- Technical Use Attainability Analysis, Clear Fork Trinity River (Stream Segments 0831 and 0833)
- Report Covers
- Appendix A: Segment 0831 Anecdotal Record
- Appendix B: Segment 0831 Pictorial Record
- Appendix C: Segment 0831 Stream Cross Sections (Time of Travel Studies)
- Appendix D: Segment 0831 24-hour DO Plots
- Appendix E: Segment 0831 Tabular Water Quality
- Appendix F: Segment 0831 Habitat Quality Indices
- Appendix G: Segment 0831 Benthic Macroinvertebrate IBIs and Species Lists
- Appendix H: Segment 0831 Nekton IBIs and Species Lists
- Appendix I: Segment 0833 Anecdotal Record
- Appendix J: Segment 0833 Pictorial Record
- Appendix K: Segment 0833 24-hour DO Plots
- Appendix L: Segment 0833 Tabular Water Quality Data
- Appendix M: Segment 0833 Habitat Quality Indices
- Appendix N: Segment 0833 Benthic Macroinvertebrate IBIs and Species Lists
- Appendix O: Segment 0833 Nekton IBIs and Species Lists
For More Information
Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and mention the Clear Fork Trinity River project in the subject line. Or call us at 512-239-6682 and ask for the Standards Team or the TMDL Team.