Commissioners' Work Session
December 15, 1995
1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Room 201S, Building E, Park 35, Austin
- Consideration of staff briefing on Commissioners' priorities on rule and policy development. The
Commissioners tentatively added the following issues to the December 15th list of issues to be scheduled for a
future Commissioners' Work Session: Limiting Parameters, NPDES Delegation, Super SIP.
- Consideration of the Title V Operating Permits Program. Jeff Saitas (Air) and Karen Olson (Air)
updated the Commissioners on the status of this program. Given the level of activity on Title V, the
Commissioners requested that this issue be tentatively scheduled for an updated briefing at the January 8th
- Consideration of the regulatory status of mixtures of water and recyclable petroleum products (tank
wastewater). Angela Stepherson (Legal), Ron Pedde (Waste), and Hygie Reynolds (Policy) briefed the
Commissioners on this issue. Commissioner Baker moved that the policy be published in the Texas Register
(after the General Counsel has made some minor changes) under "Miscellaneous Items." Public comment will
not be taken on the policy. The motion was seconded by Commissioner Marquez and passed unanimously.
- Consideration of the Houston/Galveston area AERCO resolution regarding agency guidance on
supplemental environmental projects. John Riley (Legal), David Duncan (Legal), and Randall Terrell
(Policy) briefed the Commissioners on this issue. Larry Feldcamp with the Houston/Galveston area AERCO
was invited to speak at the Work Session by Chairman McBee. Commissioner Marquez moved that the agency
adopt the AERCO policy and place a three year lifespan on the policy. The motion was seconded by
Commissioner Baker, but failed to pass on a vote of 2-1. Commissioner Marquez then moved to authorize staff
to work with the AERCO to further develop the issue. The motion was seconded by Commissioner Baker and
- Consideration of Phase II Procedural Rules. David Bolduc (Executive Director's Office), Randall Terrell
(Policy), and Rich O'Connell (General Counsel's Office) briefed the Commissioners on the status of this
rulemaking project. The Commissioners provided staff with some guidance and asked that the issue be brought
back to the Commissioners some time in the future. The Commissioners authorized the General Counsel to act
on their behalf in the interim.
- Consideration of the integration of pollution prevention efforts with other functions of the agency. Because of time constraints, no action was taken on this issue. It is tentatively scheduled to be discussed at the
January 8th Work Session.
- Planning for next work session. The next Commissioners' Work Session is scheduled for January 8th,
from 1:30 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. in room E-201S. The following issues are tentatively scheduled to be discussed
at that session: Title V Operating Permits, Integration of Pollution Prevention Efforts with Other Functions of
the Agency, Revision of the Outdoor Burning Rules, and Revisions to the Existing SIP in Order to Incorporate
Changes in the I/M Program and Emissions Inventory. Additional Work Sessions have been tentatively
scheduled for January 18th, January 26th, February 9th, and February 22nd.