Commissioners' Work Session
July 10, 1997
Room 201S, Building E, Park 35, Austin
- Consideration of the Commissioners' priorities on rule and policy development. This item was discussed in conjunction with new business item #5.
- Docket No. 97-0612-RUL. Consideration for publication of a proposed new 30 TAC Chapter 7, Sections 7.111-7.116, concerning Memoranda of Understanding (MOU). The proposed rule would establish a MOU between the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission and the following six state agencies: Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation; Texas Department of Criminal Justice; Texas Parks and Wildlife Department; Texas A&M University System; Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Authority; and General Services Commission. The MOU would set forth the coordination of program responsibility and procedural mechanisms relating to the National Flood Insurance Program minimum regulations. (James Mirabal) (Rule Log No. 97126-007-AD) Lennie Winkelman (Water Policy Division), Gene Snelson (Legal Division), and James Mirabal (Water Quantity Division) presented this item. Commissioner Baker moved to approve publication of the proposal. The motion was seconded by Chairman McBee and approved unanimously.
- Consideration of the agency's implementation of legislation enacted by the 75th Texas Legislature, including Legislative Concept Papers and the status of the agency's Legislative Implementation Strategy. The Commission may also meet in closed meeting to receive legal advice regarding these matters as authorized by Section 551.071 of the Open Meetings Act, Chapter 551 of the Government Code. Any Commission action, decision, or vote on these matters will be made in open meeting in accordance with Section 551.102 of the Open Meetings Act, Chapter 551 of the Government Code. Beverly Hartsock (Office of Policy and Regulatory Development) presented this item. The Commissioners instructed staff -
- that the General Counsel and the Chairman will take the lead on determining how the agency will implement SB 882 (negotiated rulemaking);
- that some bills, such as SB 1876 (emergency and temporary orders), may be discussed individually at future work sessions; and
- that the Commissioners and their Executive Assistants will review the list of bills that the agency must implement and identify any that they wish to discuss in detail with staff.
- Consideration of issues related to the agency's fiscal year 1998 operating budget. Bill Campbell (Deputy Executive Director) presented this item. The Commissioners instructed staff to return to the July 24th work session for additional discussion. The Commissioners hope to finalize the budget at the August 7th work session.
- Planning for the next Commissioners' Work Session. The next Commissioners' Work Session is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, July 24th, in E-201S at 1:30 p.m., and will include the following issues: legislative implementation, the fiscal year 1998 operating budget, and the City of Houston's Air eXcellence and Leadership (HAXL) Program.