Commissioners' Work Session
July 24, 1997
Room 201S, Building E, Park 35, Austin
- Consideration of the Commissioners' priorities on rule and policy development. This item was discussed in conjunction with new business item #6.
- Consideration of issues related to the City of Houston Air eXcellence and Leadership Program (HAXL). Jim Blackburn (Blackburn & Carter) and Dewayne Huckabay (City of Houston) presented this item. The Commissioners -
- directed staff to look for local examples of flexibility, including HAXL, which the agency can discuss with EPA in the future (see item #7 below) and
- directed staff to look at what resources the agency may have available, if any, to assist with projects such as HAXL.
- Consideration of the agency's implementation of legislation enacted by the 75th Texas Legislature, including Legislative Concept Papers and the status of the agency's Legislative Implementation Strategy. The Commission may also meet in closed meeting to receive legal advice regarding these matters as authorized by Section 551.071 of the Open Meetings Act, Chapter 551 of the Government Code. Any Commission action, decision, or vote on these matters will be made in open meeting in accordance with Section 551.102 of the Open Meetings Act, Chapter 551 of the Government Code. The Commissioners asked that regionalization under SB 1 be added to the list of issues to be discussed at a future work session and that the agency's memorandum of agreement with the Texas Water Development Board and the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife, as part of SB 1, be added to the agenda for the August 7th work session. The Commissioners also asked staff about the status of SB 1929 and SB 1591.
- Consideration of issues related to the agency's fiscal year 1998 operating budget. Bill Campbell (Deputy Executive Director) and Tobi Hitt (Chief Financial Officer) presented this item. The Commissioners directed staff to proceed with developing a final draft budget and to return to the August 7th work for further discussion and approval. The Commissioners and their Executive Assistants may provide input to staff prior to the 7th.
- The Commission will conduct a closed session to discuss their duties, roles, and responsibilities as Commissioners of the TNRCC pursuant to Section 551.074 of the Open Meetings Act, codified as Chapter 551 of the Government Code. No final action, decision, or vote with regard to any matter considered in closed session shall be made in the absence of further notice issued in accordance with Chapter 551 of the Government Code. The Commissioners chose not to discuss this item at this time.
- Planning for the next Commissioners' Work Session. The next Commissioners' Work Session is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, August 7th, in E-201S at 9:00 a.m., and will include the following issues: legislative implementation; the fiscal year 1998 operating budget; the records management review; the reporting reduction/one stop initiative; EPA's promulgation of revised national ambient air quality standards; and a memorandum of agreement between the agency and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Water Development Board.
- Consideration of the Environmental Protection Agency's promulgation of revised national ambient air quality standards and related issues. The Commissioners -
- discussed sending a letter to the Congressional leadership and copying the Texas delegation reiterating the State's position on EPA's proposal;
- expressed their interest in working with the individual regions potentially affected by the new standards in order to develop new ideas which the agency can champion in its discussion with EPA and during the Federal Advisory Committee Act process (see item #2 above); and
- asked that this item be reposted for the August 7th work session.