Commissioners' Work Session
August 7, 1997
Room 201S, Building E, Park 35, Austin
- Consideration of the Commissioners priorities on rule and policy development. The Commissioners chose to discuss this item in conjunction with item #8.
- Consideration of issues related to the KPMG Peat Marwick Records Management Review. Glenn Shankle (Office of Administrative Services), Debra Fine-Knapp (Office of Administrative Services), and John Smith (Information Resources) presented this item. The Commissioners instructed staff to implement the 34 short-term recommendations included in the report and to return to the Commission sometime in the future to discuss a range of long-term options. Staff will also report back to the Commissioners regarding the level of implementation of each short-term recommendation. KPMG Peat Marwick, at no additional cost, will provide the agency with some recommendations regarding potential pilot implementation projects.
- Consideration of issues related to the agency's strategy for reducing unnecessary and duplicative reporting. Ed Clark (Executive Directors Office) and Trace Finley (Executive Directors Office) presented this item. The Commissioners expressed an interest in the development of an expedited rulemaking process for adopting reporting reductions contained in agency rules.
- Consideration of a memorandum of agreement with the Texas Water Development Board and the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife concerning the implementation of Senate Bill 1 enacted by the 75th Legislature and related issues. Ken Petersen (Office of Water Resource Management), Mark Jordan (Water Policy and Regulatory Development), and James Kowis (Water Policy and Regulatory Development) presented this item. Commissioners Baker moved to accept staff's recommendations and directed the Executive Director to sign the memorandum on behalf of the agency. The motion was seconded by Chairman McBee and passed unanimously.
- Consideration of issues related to the agencys fiscal year 1998 operating budget. Glenn Shankle (Office of Administrative Services) and Tobi Hitt (Chief Financial Officer) presented this item. Chairman McBee moved that the Commission approve the revised FY97-98 FTE Chart. The motion was seconded by Commissioner Marquez and approved unanimously. The Commissioners will vote on a final budget at the August 21st work session.
- Consideration of the Environmental Protection Agencys promulgation of revised national ambient air quality standards and related issues. The Commissioners chose not to discuss this item at this time.
- Consideration of the agency's implementation of legislation enacted by the 75th Texas Legislature, including Legislative Concept Papers and the status of the agency's Legislative Implementation Strategy. The Commission may also meet in closed meeting to receive legal advice regarding these matters as authorized by Section 551.071 of the Open Meetings Act, Chapter 551 of the Government Code. Any Commission action, decision, or vote on these matters will be made in open meeting in accordance with Section 551.102 of the Open Meetings Act, Chapter 551 of the Government Code. The Commissioners chose not to discuss this item at this time.
- Planning for the next Commissioners Work Session. The next Commissioners Work Session is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, August 21st, in E-201S, at 1:30 p.m. It will include the following issues: legislative implementation; the fiscal year 1998 operating budget; EPAs promulgation of revised national ambient air quality standards; and the final penalty policy and other enforcement policies and procedures.