Questions or Comments:

Interactive Map of Urbanized Areas

Determine if your Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) is in an urbanized area and required to obtain stormwater permit coverage.

Operators of small MS4s that are fully or partially located within an urbanized area, as determined by the 2000 or 2010 Decennial Census by the U.S. Census Bureau, must obtain authorization for the discharge of stormwater runoff and are eligible for coverage under the MS4 general permit. If your site was an Urbanized Area in the 2000 Census but not in the 2010 Census, you are still required to obtain coverage.

To determine whether your site is within an Urbanized Area follow the steps listed below:

  1. Open the U.S. Census Interactive Map Viewer.Exit the TCEQ
  2. On the top-right of the screen, there is a box to search for the address of your site. Enter your full address into that box and hit enter. The search engine does not work if only the city and state are entered.
  3. Select Layers from the toolbar on the top-left corner of the screen.
  4. The map will be set to the 2010 Census. To change to the 2000 Census, on the left-sidebar under Select Vintage, choose Census 2000.
  5. On the left-sidebar, select different layers.
    1. Select the Transportation (Roads and Railroads) layer.
    2. Select the Urban Areas layer.
      1. Within the Urban Areas layer, use the "+" sign to expand your options and uncheck the Urban Clusters layer. Urban clusters do not determine whether you need stormwater authorization.
  6. The urbanized area will show up on the map in blue and will be labeled with the name of the urbanized area.
    1. If your site is within the urbanized area, you need stormwater coverage.
    2. Visit the Assistance Tools for Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s) webpage for additional information on obtaining stormwater coverage.