>> Questions or Comments: wqap@tceq.texas.gov
You are here:

Aggregate Production Operations: How to Register

If you own or operate a quarry, sand pit, gravel pit, or other aggregate production operation (APO) in Texas, you must register your APO with our water quality program.

Who Must Register?

You must register each location where you remove or extract aggregate from the ground. Facilities that only process aggregates (aka processing plants) are not required to register as an APO!


You don't need a registration if all of the aggregate produced at your APO is used in any one of these ways:

  • In a lime kiln that is on site or at a related site that you also control.
  • To produce cement or lightweight aggregates on site or at a related site that you also control.
  • Exclusively in a public works project of a state agency or local government.
  • As fill or for other construction purposes on site or at an adjacent site.
  • To construct, modify, or expand a landfill or other solid waste facility.

Is your main reason for producing the aggregate to sell it? If not, your operation is exempt. In addition to these exemptions, operations that produce clay or shale for ceramic tiles, brick, or other structural clay products do not have to be registered. Clay or shale used in this way is not considered to be aggregate. This is a simplified summary of the aggregate production operations rule, Title 30 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 342 Exit the TCEQYou should read the rule for more detailed information.

How Do I Register A New APO or Renew an Existing One?


You must register your operation 10 business days before you begin extracting aggregates. Pay the registration fee as determined below.

Back to the top of the page Back to top


You must renew your APO registration every year before it expires but not more than 30 days before the expiration date. The expiration date is printed on your certificate. You can also find your registration number and expiration date online using Advanced Search. Pay the registration fee as determined below.

Registration Fee

When you register or renew your APO you must pay a registration fee, based on the number of acres disturbed.

When you measure the area disturbed, include all:

  • pits, quarried areas, and other extraction areas
  • stripped areas
  • haulage ramps
  • land used for a processing plant

Note – If you register your APO via STEERS, you get 25% off your registration fee!


Fee for Paper Forms

Fee for Online Forms

0 - 10 acres disturbed



>10 and <= 50 acres disturbed



>50 and <= 100 acres disturbed



>100 acres disturbed



Back to the top of the page Back to top

Changes to your Registration

View the status and existing details of your registration online using Advanced Search.

APO Ownership Changes?

Registrations are not transferable. There is no fee for canceling a registration. If you sell an APO or transfer the APO responsibility to anyone else:

Back to the top of the page Back to top

Mailing Address or Phone Number Changes?

If your mailing address, telephone number, or other contact information changes, you must immediately update your records with us. Such changes are considered as Modifications and can be done at any time as long as your registration is Active. There is no fee for Modifications.

Modifications can be done either through STEERS or via Paper.

Back to the top of the page Back to top


If we haven't answered your questions here, please call our Water Quality Division main number and ask for APO registration program at 512-239-4671.

Back to the top of the page Back to top