Consumer Information about Computer Recycling
While the information below contains consumer information about recycling computer equipment, it is not a comprehensive list of resources.
- General Information
- Consumer Requirements for the Computer Equipment Recycling Program
- Consumer Educational Resources
General Program Information
The Texas Computer Equipment Recycling Program requires manufacturers that offer for sale new computer equipment in or into Texas to offer consumers a free and convenient recycling program and be on the TCEQ list of computer-equipment manufacturers. Please be aware that:
- Certain manufacturers own more than one brand of computer equipment.
- If you own computer equipment with no brand name or made under a brand name that is not listed, you can check the manufacturers' Web sites to see which manufacturers will accept other brands.
- Manufacturers are only required to collect and recycle their own brands of computer equipment, not brands owned by other manufacturers. Manufacturers may choose to offer recycling for brands other than their own.
- Manufacturers are only required to collect and recycle personal and home business computer equipment.
- Commercial, government, and nonprofit customers should check with their manufacturers, local retailers, and local charities to see what options are available to them for upgrading, donating, refurbishing, or recycling used computer equipment.
Consumer Requirements for the Computer Equipment Recycling Program
The Computer Equipment Recycling Program rules make consumers responsible for any information in any form left on the consumer's computer equipment that is collected, recycled, or reused. Before donating or submitting your computer to be reused or recycled, be sure to erase all data from the computer. Consumer Educational Resources directly below offers tips on how to erase data.
Consumer Educational Resources
- Plug In to eCycling Partners
(U.S. EPA) manufacturers and retailers collecting, reusing, or recycling old computers and electronics.
- Earth 911 A national recycler locator, searchable by material and location.
Learn about computer recycling from these articles:
- Take Care of Texas News You Can Use newsletters:
- Now Hitting the Airways:Texas Recycles Computers , July 2010
- Texas Computer Recycling Program, March 2010
- Get Your FREE TexasRecyclesComputers Print Ads, July 2009
- New Computer Equipment Recycling Program Slated for Sept. 1, July 2008
- Computer Recycling in Full Gear, Natural Outlook (Winter 2009)
- Outdated Computers Destined for Recycling, Natural Outlook (Summer 2008)
Promote Computer Equipment Recycling
Download these free print ads and Web banners to promote computer recycling.
(Help downloading files.)
Print Ads (PDF format):
Web Banners (GIF format):
300 x 48 pixels, 4KB
121 x 233 pixels, 5 KB
160 x 311 pixels, 7 KB
629 x 90 pixels, 7 KB