Buying products with recycled content makes the recycling process sustainable. When you purchase recycled-content products, you increase the demand for recycled materials. As a result, manufacturers continue to use recycled materials in their products, and recyclers continue to have a market for their materials.
Texas state agencies are required to give preference to certain recycled, remanufactured, or environmentally sensitive products as first choice purchasing options. "First choice" products include re-refined motor oil, and recycled-content paper products.
The links compiled here take you off the TCEQ Web site. () If you encounter a broken link, please contact us by calling 512-239-3143 or sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
State of Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
State agencies are encouraged to use the comptroller's Centralized Master Bidders List for purchases. Private entities are also encouraged to seek out vendors on this list.
U.S. General Services Administration
The Sustainable Facilities Tool (SFTool) website offers interactive, useful guidance and tools for facility managers, procurement professionals, and a number of other individuals.
- TxSmartBuy: An online ordering system for state and local government agencies that uses competitive contracted vendors. TxSmartBuy assists users with single transaction options for many different materials.
- Recycled Products Purchasing Cooperative: Provides high-quality recycled office copy paper at competitive prices through public and private cooperative purchasing.
- WasteWi$e: A free, voluntary program from the U.S. EPA to help members buy recycled products and reduce waste.
- State of California Recycled-Content Product Directory: A list of products containing recycled materials and information about the manufacturers, distributors and reprocessors of these products.
- U.S. EPA Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Program: Assists agencies with purchasing environmentally preferable products and services.
- National Association of State Purchasing Officials: Provides a green purchasing guide with recycled-content products and contracts.
- National Association of Counties Green Government Initiative: Helps counties locate and select recycled-content products.
Civic and Environmental Organizations
- Keep America Beautiful - America Recycles Day: Held every November, this is the only nationally-recognized day dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the U.S.
- State of Texas Alliance for Recycling (STAR): Coordinates and provides resources for recycling campaigns in Texas.