Cox Road Dump Site
The site is on approximately 83 acres on the west side of County Road 491 (Cox Road), one mile north of its intersection with FM 1413 near Dayton, Liberty County. The Cox Road Dump operated as an industrial waste disposal facility from 1969-1983. Their operations involved digging trenches and filling them with various chemical waste, spent petroleum products, and other waste, and covering it with soil excavated elsewhere on the property.
Superfund Registry and Investigation
The TCEQ and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency conducted environmental investigations at this location from 1990 to 2006. There were elevated levels of arsenic, barium, cadmium, cobalt, chromium, lead, mercury, boron, PCBs, cyanide, phenol, toluene, xylene, and DDE at the site. The TCEQ proposed the site to the state Superfund registry in February 2006.
The TCEQ and PRPs entered into a VCP agreement, the site was accepted into the VCP, and the site was deleted from the registry in 2006. No further Superfund environmental response actions are required.