Marshall Wood Preserving
The 15-acre Marshall Wood-Preserving site is bounded on the south by Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, on the west by railroad tracks, on the north by an industrial facility and a city-owned right-of-way for West Rusk Street, and on the east by residential properties.
From approximately 1949 through 1980, Marshall Wood Preserving manufactured pressure-treated wood fencing, highway posts, pilings, and other products at the site. Soil, groundwater, and sediment are contaminated with chemicals used in the wood treating processes, including creosote and pentachlorophenol (also known as PCP).
Superfund Registry and Investigation
The TCEQ proposed the site to the state Superfund registry in September 1990 and began the remedial investigation in June 1991. TCEQ has conducted soil, groundwater, and sediment sampling to determine the nature and extent of contamination and to evaluate ecological risks associated with the release.
The TCEQ is conducting a feasibility study to develop and analyze potential cleanup alternatives. The site is currently in the remedial investigation phase.