Woodward Industries, Inc.
The Woodward Industries, Inc., Nacogdoches County site (the site) is located in rural Nacogdoches County, about six miles north of the city of Nacogdoches on County Road 816. The approximately seven acre site is bordered by County Road 816 on the north, a private residence on the east, an abandoned Southern Pacific railroad right of way on the west, and a cemetery to the south. The company began preserving wood with pentachlorophenol (PCP) in 1947. The wood treatment operation was continued until 1982. The property then had a series of owners until it was purchased in 2004 by the present owners who bought it to control use of land next to their residence.
Superfund Actions Taken to Date
- August 2006, a hazard ranking system (HRS) document was prepared for the Woodward Industries, Inc., Nacogdoches County site.
- March 2, 2007, a legal notice (page 1139) was published in the Texas Register (32 TexReg 1139-1140) describing the site and proposing the site for listing on the state Superfund registry. A public meeting to receive citizen comments is scheduled to be held April 5, 2007, at the Nacogdoches County Courthouse, Suite 170.
- April 5, 2007, a public meeting was held at the Nacodoches County Courthouse to receive community comments on the proposal of the Woodward Industries, Inc., Nacogdoches County site to the Superfund registry, and the setting of land use specifications to determine the level of remediation.
- April 27, 2007, a community relations plan was prepared for the Woodward Industries, Inc., Nacogdoches County site.
- December 17, 2007, the field sampling plan was approved.
- March 20, 2009, TCEQ approved the Field Sampling Plan.
- April 7 & 8, 2009, TCEQ conducted initial steps in the Remedial Investigation to determine the potential for removal activities at the site.
- July 27, 2009, TCEQ approved Addendum No. 1 to the March 2009 Field Sampling Plan.
- July 28, 2009, TCEQ commenced Round 2 of the Remedial Investigation (RI) activities to determine the nature and extent of the contaminants in the soils and groundwater.
- July 30, 2009, TCEQ approved the Remedial Investigation Technical Memorandum which described the results of the April 2009 RI sampling.
- August 5 - 7, 2009, TCEQ conducted Round 2 of the Remedial Investigation.
Twenty soil borings were advanced to delineate the nature and extent of the contaminants. Five monitoring wells were installed and groundwater samples were taken to determine if the groundwater was contaminated.
- January 5, 2010, TCEQ approved the Remedial Investigation Technical Memorandum (RITM) which described the results of the soils and groundwater sampling conducted in July and August 2009.
- January 21, 2010, TECQ approved the Addendum No. 2 to the March 2009 Field Sampling Plan. This addendum identified new locations for soils sampling, monitoring well installations, and groundwater sampling.
- June 2010, TCEQ issued a work order for a phase 3 remedial investigation.
- July 2010, Finalized the Field Sampling Plan for the phase 3 remedial investigation.
- August 2010, Completed the phase 3 remedial investigation field work.
- September 2010, TCEQ issued a work order for the reporting of the phase 3 remedial investigation.
- October 2010, Draft technical memorandum for the phase 3 remedial investigation submitted.
- November 2010, TCEQ issued a work order for a PRP search for the Woodward Industries. Inc., Nacogdoches County site.
- December 2010, TCEQ comments to the phase 3 technical memorandum were sent to contractor.
- August 2011, Removal Action has been completed. The action involved removal of contaminated soil and off-site disposal at an appropriate landfill. Future activities will involve site restoration (grass planting/watering, fence repair, and county road repair).
- December 2011, Site Restoration completed. The action involved grass planting/watering, fence repair, and county road repair.