Woodward Industries, Inc.
The Woodward Industries, Inc., Nacogdoches County site is located in rural Nacogdoches County, about six miles north of the city of Nacogdoches on County Road 816. The approximately seven acre site is bordered by County Road 816 on the north, a private residence on the east, an abandoned Southern Pacific railroad right of way on the west, and a cemetery to the south.
The company began preserving wood with pentachlorophenol (PCP) in 1947. The wood treatment operation was continued until 1982.
Superfund Registry and Cleanup
The TCEQ proposed the site to the state Superfund registry in March 2007 and conducted the remedial investigation from May 2007 to August 2011. In July 2011, the TCEQ conducted a removal action, which involved the removal of contaminated soil and off-site disposal at an appropriate landfill.
Cleanup is complete. The site was deleted from its proposed-for-listing status on the state Superfund registry in March 2016.