Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools


Complaint Arrow Questions or Comments:
You are here: Home / Investigations, Compliance, and Enforcement / Make an Environmental Complaint / Complaints the TCEQ Can Help You With

Complaints the TCEQ Can Help You With

Types of problems under the TCEQ's jurisdiction and those that fall under the jurisdiction of other agencies.

In general, we at the TCEQ can help if you:

  • see water that may be polluted
  • see or smell something unpleasant in the air
  • see land that may be contaminated
  • have problems with your drinking water
  • have information or evidence about an environmental problem
  • have problems with an individual or company licensed or registered by the TCEQ
  • need more information about a possible pollution source, including permitting status, compliance history, or other complaints that may have been filed against that source
  • need assistance understanding environmental laws

In some cases, we may not be the appropriate agency to assist you. You should probably call some agency other than the TCEQ when you:

      • see pollution around an oil well—call the Railroad Commission district office.
      • have a problem with a septic system—call your city or county to find out if they can help.
      • have a problem with noise pollution—call your local police to see if there is a noise ordinance in your city.
      • have a problem with litter, illegal trash, or used oil dumping—call your city or county officials.
      • live in one of the following cities or counties and you have an air pollution complaint—contact the local office listed below; these offices have the authority to handle air complaints in their areas.


Dallas: Air Pollution Control Program at 214-948-4435
El Paso: Air Quality Program at 915-212-6032
Fort Worth: Air Program at 817-392-8700
Galveston County: Pollution Division at 409-938-2251
Houston: Bureau of Pollution Control and Prevention at 832-393-5730
Harris County: Harris County Pollution Control Services Department at 713-920-2831

There may be other situations when our jurisdiction is limited. In those cases, our regional office will attempt to direct you to another agency that can address your concerns.