Air Quality Standard Permit for Feedmills, Portable Augers, and Hay Grinders
The Air Quality Standard Permit for feedmills, portable augers, and hay grinders is authorized under the Texas Health and Safety Code Section 382.05195, which authorizes the commission to issue this standard permit for many similar facilities.
To determine whether your facility qualifies for this standard permit, first consider this quick screen:
- A feedmill does not qualify for this standard permit if it has on-site permanent raw grain storage capacity of more than 2.5 million bushels.
- A feedmill does not qualify for this standard permit if any associated fuel-fired equipment (including, but not limited to, boilers, dryers, and burners) has an individual heating rate of ten million British thermal units per hour (Btu/hr) or greater, or a combined heating rate of greater than 20 million Btu/hr. This requirement does not apply to engines.
- A feedmill, portable auger, or hay grinder does not qualify for authorization under this standard permit if any individual engine (or combination of engines) rated greater than 525 horsepower is used.
- The feedmill, portable auger, or hay grinder must not be a new major stationary source or major modification as defined by Title 30 Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC) Section 116.12, Nonattainment and Prevention of Significant Deterioration Review Definitions.
- The feedmill, portable auger, or hay grinder must not be located at a major stationary source.
If the feedmill, portable auger, or hay grinder cannot meet the conditions of this standard permit, you may qualify for other permitting options. To review your options, see Types of New Source Review Authorizations.
If your facility complies with the above screening criteria:
- Review the standard permit in PDF considering your proposed claim for further restrictions and limitations.
- If your facility complies with all requirements of the standard permit, you may claim this standard permit.
To Claim This Standard Permit:
For feedmills producing specific feed types specified in subsection (5)(A) of this standard permit, before construction or modification begins, registration must be submitted to and approval received from the TCEQ Air Permits Division in Austin:
- Complete the Form PI-1S, (Registration Form for a Standard Permit), using the PI-1S Instructions, (Registration Instructions for a Standard Permit).
- Pay a registration fee (PDF)
For other feedmills, there are no registration, notification, or fee requirements for this standard permit. Owners or operators who claim this standard permit are required to maintain records as specified in 30 TAC Section 116.615(8) and in the standard permit to document compliance with the standard permit.
- Complete Standard Permit Issuance Package For Effective Date April 7, 2010
Tech Summary, Standard Permit. (Help with PDF)
Questions? We Can Help
If you have questions about this or any other standard permit, contact us.