Renewing an Air Permit
The TCEQ shall provide written notice to the holder of a permit that the permit is scheduled for review. Such notice will be provided by certified or registered United States mail no less than 180 days prior to the expiration of the permit. The notice shall specify the procedure for filing an application for review and the information to be included in the application. The application shall be completed by the holder of the permit and returned to the TCEQ no later than 180 days before expiration of the permit. Pursuant to Texas Civil Statutes, Article 9027, the TCEQ shall exempt a holder of a permit from any increased fee or other penalty for failure to renew the permit if the individual establishes, to the satisfaction of the TCEQ, that the failure to renew in a timely manner occurred because the individual was on active duty in the United States Armed Forces serving outside the State of Texas.
Permits are subject to the following renewal schedule:
- Any permit issued before December 1, 1991 is subject for review 15 years after the date of issuance; or
- Any permit issued on or after December 1, 1991 is subject for review every ten years after the date of issuance.
- For cause, a permit issued on or after December 1, 1991 for a facility at a nonfederal source may contain a provision requiring the permit to be renewed at a period of between five and ten years.
Tools for a Renewal
- Form: PI-1R Renewal Application Form and Instructions PDF or DOC
- Rule: Title 30 Texas Administrative Code Section 116.310 and 30 TAC Section 116.311
- Fees: Fund 151 (Clean Air) Fee Rates: Old vs. New
Historical Data Pertaining to Renewals
Note: Linked files below are in .txt format.
- Permit Renewal Applicability Determination
- Permit Renewals During Flexible Permit Reviews
- Permit Renewal Fees
- Permit Renewal Issue Data
- Request for Legal Opinion (3/6/87)
- Request for Legal Opinion (12/8/87)
- Claiming of Standard Exemptions
- Permit Renewal Timeframe
- Permit Renewal Requirements
Questions? We Can Help
If you have questions contact us.