Data Management Reference Guide (DMRG) for Surface Water Quality Monitoring
The 2012 SWQM Data Management Reference Guide was published in January 2012, and supersedes all previous versions. The Data Management Reference Guide (DMRG) has been updated for consistency with recent changes in operating procedures and data requirements. The DMRG is revised periodically as necessary, no less often than annually.
The purpose of the DMRG is to assist Clean Rivers Program planning agencies, the TMDL Program contractors, SWQM Program staff, and any other entities submitting data to the Surface Water Quality Monitoring Information System (SWQMIS). The guide outlines the processes for requesting parameter codes, station ID numbers, submitting and collecting entity codes, monitoring type, and tag prefixes. It also explains data review, data qualification, and data reporting, how to submit corrections to data in SWQMIS, and request data reports. In addition, the DMRG includes reference maps, tables, and descriptions.
The DMRG and its chapters provided below are in portable document format (PDF. Help with PDF.)
- Full document (1.3 MB)
- Individual Chapters and Appendixes
- Chapter 1: Introduction to the SWQM Information System
- Chapter 2: Parameter Code Request
- Chapter 3: SWQM Station Location Request
- Chapter 4: Submitting Entity, Collecting Entity, and Monitoring Type Codes
- Chapter 5: Tag Prefix
- Chapter 6: Commonly Used Parameter Codes
- Chapter 7: Data Reporting
- Chapter 8: Data Review
- Chapter 9: Data Corrections
- Chapter 10: Data Qualification
- Chapter 11: Database Reports
- Chapter 12: Biological Data Recording and Reporting
- Appendix A: Maps
- Appendix B: Specific List of EPA Stream Station Types
- Appendix C: Fish Tissue Data Reporting Guidance
- Appendix D: Geographic Information Codes
- Appendix E: Data Qualifiers
Please submit questions or comments about the DMRG by e-mail to email@example.com or call 512-239-1678 and request to speak with a member of the Data Management & Analysis Team.