Controlling VOC Emissions from Surface Coating Processes
- Beaumont-Port Arthur area (Hardin, Jefferson, and Orange Counties)
- Corpus Christi area (rules apply in Nueces County)
- Dallas-Fort Worth area (Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise Counties)
- El Paso area (El Paso County)
- Houston-Galveston-Brazoria area (Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller Counties)
- Northeast Texas area (rules apply in Gregg County)
- Victoria area (Victoria County)
Description of Rules
- Limit the VOC content of coatings applied to various substrates.
- Specify application methods.
- Require implementing work practices.
- Include testing, monitoring, and recordkeeping requirements.
- The Division 2 rules apply to all surface coating processes except those specified in the Division 5 rules.
The Chapter 115 rule history discusses revisions to the rules, including their proposal and adoption, the associated State Implementation Plan revision, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approval.
- The Decision Support System can help you determine if you are subject to the Chapter 115, Division 2 surface coating rules.
- Resources for small businesses and local governments
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Standards
- EPA Test Methods
- EPA performance specifications for continuous emission monitoring systems and CEMS quality assurance procedures
- The Chapter 115 Stakeholder Group helps the agency with air quality issues, including controlling emissions from surface coating processes.
- The Control Techniques Guidelines Stakeholder Group helps the agency with air quality issues related to the technical recommendations in the EPA’s guidelines for controlling emissions in the state’s nonattainment areas.
- State plan to meet the national ozone standard
- Emissions banking and trading program
- Air permitting and registration
- Tax relief for pollution control property
- Point source emissions inventory
- These rules are based on the recommendations in the EPA’s Control Techniques Guidelines and other guidance documents for various types of surface coating operations.