How to Issue a Boil Water Notice to Customers of a Noncommunity PWS
These instructions apply to you if you own or operate a noncommunity public water system—for example, the water system at a camp, prison, school, or similar facility. When necessary to tell your customers to boil water before using it for drinking, food preparation, or washing, you must:
- Notify customers within 24 hours. [Title 30 Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC) Subparagraph 290.46(q)(1)]
- Using the appropriate mandatory language, prepare a boil water notice in English and, if necessary, Spanish [30 TAC Subsection 290.47(e)].
- Issue the notice in at least one of these ways:
- by hand delivery
- by continuously posting the notice in conspicuous places within the area served by your PWS until we tell you that you may take it down
- by hand delivery
- Within 10 days of when you issue this or any other notice mentioned in these steps, send a copy of the actual notice and the signed Certificate of Delivery of Public Notice to Customers to us by mail at:
Drinking Water Quality Team Public Notice Coordinator MC-155
PO Box 13087
Austin TX 78711-3087
or by fax to 512/239-3666 [30 TAC Subparagraph 290.46(q)(1)].
- If you hand-delivered the initial notice, then, for as long as the violation or situation exists, hand-deliver a follow-up notice every three months. [30 TAC Paragraph 290.122(a)(3)(C)] After each follow-up notice, complete Certificate of Delivery of Public Notice to Customers as described in Step 4 and submit it to us with a copy of the notice issued.
- When it is no longer necessary for your customers to boil water, issue another notice in the same way you issued the original notice. [30 TAC Subparagraph 290.46(q)(1)] Then, as described in Step 4, complete Certificate of Delivery of Public Notice to Customers and submit it to us with a copy of this notice.
If you have any questions about these instructions, e-mail us at email@example.com or call 512/239-4691 and ask to speak with a “coliform” or “Bac-T” expert in our Public Drinking Water Section.