Rules and Guidance for Public Water Systems
Those who operate a public drinking water system in the state must be familiar with federal and state rules. The following links may be helpful.
Am I a "Public Water System"?
Find out if you are a PWS and, if so, what requirements you must meet.
Rules and Regulatory Guidance:
- The Rules and Regulations for Public Water Systems are established by the TCEQ and specify construction and operational standards for public water supply systems.
- Drinking Water Standards are set by the agency and cover primary and secondary water quality standards.
- Rule: 30 TAC 290.101-122
- The Ground Water Rule applies to all public water systems that supply ground water. The rule also applies to any system that mixes surface and ground water if the ground water is added directly to the distribution system and supplied to the consumer without treatment.
- Rule: 30 TAC 290.116
- Guidance: In development. For more information visit the Ground Water Rule main page.
- Surface Water Monthly Operating Report ( RG-211)
- One Meter per Residence Requirements, available in English (RG-219) or Un Medidor Por Residencia, available in Spanish (RG-219)
- A Drought Planning Guide for Public Water Systems in Texas (RG-226)
- Backflow Protection on Water-Based Fire Protection Systems (RG-345)
- Drinking Water Standards Governing Drinking Water Quality and Reporting Requirements for Public Water Systems: 30 TAC Chapter 290, (f) ; unofficial version also available in PDF.
- The Feasibility of Regionalizing Water & Wastewater Utilities (RG-357)
- Total Organic Carbon (RG-379)
- How to Develop a Monitoring Plan (RG-384)
- Disinfectant Residual Reporting for PWSs (RG-407)
- Feasibility Study Instructions for Public Water Systems
- Homeland Security: Security Vulnerability Self-Assessment Guide
- Understanding Chemical Analysis Results
- Public Drinking Water Program Staff Guidance Statements
- Consumer Confidence Report
- After the Flood: Is Your Water Safe to Drink?
- Disinfection Byproducts
- Homeland Security
- Private well disinfection & water sampling
- Monitoring Plans
- Radiochemical Testing for Interim Well Approval
- Texas Optimization Program
- Regional contact information
Contact us if you have questions about your drinking water system.