Information for Generators of Municipal Liquid Waste
If you generate liquid waste from a municipal source, the waste must be processed or disposed of at an authorized facility. The waste may be disposed of in a landfill if has been processed to eliminate free liquids, or it may be composted, recycled, or applied to land under certain conditions.
If the waste needs to be transported, it must be done by a registered sludge transporter. You may transport the waste yourself, but you must first register as a sludge transporter.
The following guidance documents contain information about how to manage wastes from grease traps, grit traps, and septic tanks:
- Waste from Grease Traps, Grit Traps, and Septic Tanks: Questions and Answers (RG-389)
- Environmental Rules for Car Washes (RG-434)
Includes information about managing waste from grit traps at car washes
Follow these links to find out more about transferring, processing, and disposing of liquid waste:
- Transferring Municipal Liquid Waste
- Processing Municipal Liquid Waste
- Disposing of Municipal Liquid Waste
Please contact us if you have questions about managing municipal liquid waste.