Skip to Content
Questions or Comments:

Information for Generators of Municipal Liquid Waste

Find out how to manage and dispose of liquid waste from municipal sources, including grit trap waste, grease trap waste, septic tank pumpings, domestic septage, chemical toilet waste, municipal wastewater treatment plant sludge, other types of domestic sewage treatment plant sludge, and water-supply treatment plant sludge.

If you generate liquid waste from a municipal source, the waste must be processed or disposed of at an authorized facility. The waste may be disposed of in a landfill if has been processed to eliminate free liquids, or it may be composted, recycled, or applied to land under certain conditions.

If the waste needs to be transported, it must be done by a registered sludge transporter. You may transport the waste yourself, but you must first register as a sludge transporter.

The following guidance documents contain information about how to manage wastes from grease traps, grit traps, and septic tanks:

Follow these links to find out more about transferring, processing, and disposing of liquid waste:

Some liquids may be accepted by composting facilities. Information about composting facilities:

Contact the MSW Permits Section

Please contact the Municipal Solid Waste Permits Section if you have questions about managing municipal liquid waste.