Municipal Liquid Waste Processing
Registration or Permit for Fixed Processing Facility
Operations Requiring a Registration
A municipal solid waste processing facility that processes only grease trap waste, grit trap waste from commercial car washes, or septage or a combination of these wastes may do so under a registration according to Title 30, Texas Administrative Code (30 TAC) Chapter 330, Section 330.9(f) , if any of the following conditions are met:
- The facility attains a 10 percent recovery of material for beneficial use from the incoming waste
- The processing facility is located within the permit boundaries of a commission-permitted Type I landfill
- The processing facility is located at a manned public wastewater treatment facility permitted to discharge at least one million gallons per day
Facilities meeting any of these exemptions may obtain a registration by following the procedures in 30 TAC 330.57 through 330.73 and meeting the operational standards established in Chapter 330, Subchapter E .
Operations Requiring a Permit
All other fixed liquid waste processing facilities must apply for a permit under 30 TAC 330.57 .
Registration for Mobile Processing Unit
Under 30 TAC 330.9(g) , a registration is required for a mobile liquid waste processing unit that processes grease trap waste, grit trap waste from commercial car washes, or septage or a combination of these wastes. Mobile liquid waste processing units must obtain a registration by following the applicable rules in 30 TAC 330.9(g) and 330.57 through 330.65 and meeting the operational standards in 30 TAC Chapter 330, Subchapter E .
Processing at a Permitted Landfill
Under 30 TAC 330.11(d) , a separate permit is not required for the storage or processing of grease trap waste, grit trap waste, or septage that contains free liquids if the waste is treated or processed at a permitted Type I MSW landfill, provided the landfill facility complies with the notification requirements of 30 TAC 330.11 (a) through (c) . The notification requirement may be satisfied by submitting a permit modification, with notice, addressing the rule requirements in 30 TAC 305.70(e) . The permit modification should address the applicable rules in 30 TAC 330.63 , 330.65 , and 30 TAC Chapter 330, Subchapter E (such as waste acceptance, waste management unit design, unit closure, and unit operating procedures).
Registration for Experimental Processing Facilities
Under 30 TAC 330.9(h) , a permit is not required for an MSW Type VI facility that demonstrates new management methods for processing or handling grease trap waste, grit trap waste from car washes, or septage or a combination of these three liquid wastes. Facilities meeting this exemption must obtain a registration by following the procedures in 30 TAC 330.57 through 330.73 and meeting the operational standards established in 30 TAC Chapter 330, Subchapter E .
Applying for a Registration or Permit
To apply for a registration or permit for a municipal liquid waste processing facility:
- Follow the application procedures in 30 TAC 330.57 through 330.73
- Review administrative and technical review checklists
- Type V Liquid Waste Processing Registration Checklist
- Type V Liquid Waste Processing Permit Checklist
- Complete the Part I Application Form
- Complete the TCEQ Core Data Form
- Use the outline for preparing a closure cost estimate to determine the amount of financial assurance required by 30 TAC 330.505
- Establish and maintain financial assurance in accordance with 30 TAC Chapter 37, Subchapter J, to cover the estimated closure cost
- Complete a Correspondence Cover Sheet (Form TCEQ-20714)
- Submit your completed Correspondence Cover Sheet, Part I form, Core Data Form, proof of financial assurance, and the application materials required by 30 TAC 330.57 through 330.65 to the TCEQ at the address on the Part I form
- Review air quality requirements and obtain any required authorizations
Please contact us if you have questions about municipal liquid waste processing.