Water Right Permits: Annual Water Use Reporting
- Who needs to submit a report?
- Where can I get the report form?
- When is the report due?
- Where do I send the report?
- What if I have sold, purchased, or obtained property with a water right?
- What should I do if I would like to abandon my water right?
- Where may I find more information?
- Who should I contact if I have more questions?
Who needs to submit an annual water use report?
Each holder of a water right issued by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is required to submit a water use report each year, even if no appropriated water is used.
If you are in a watermaster area, contact your watermaster program for requirements to follow in lieu of those outlined here.
A water right holder who fails to file a water use report may be liable for a penalty each day in an amount not to exceed:
- $100 per day for a water right authorizing 5,000 acre-feet or less per year; or
- $500 per day for a water right authorizing more than 5,000 acre-feet per year.
A water right that is not used or reported for a period of 10 years, could be subject to cancellation.
Where can I get an annual water use report form?
We mail water use report forms to water right holders in January of each year. If you have not received yours, you may download a copy.
NOTE: For water rights in the Brazos Watermaster Area, use the following water use report form for the period of January 1, 2015 through May 31, 2015. Submit by June 30, 2015.
When are reports due?
Water use reports are due on March 1 of each year. You may be subject to a penalty for non-reporting.
Where do I send my report?
Mail completed forms to the address below.
Or submit your report by e-mailing a completed PDF of the form to email@example.com.
What if I no longer own a water right, or just acquired one?
- If you sell all or part of your water right, or a property with an appurtenant water right, send your water use report to the address below. Indicate the current owner of the water right, and provide the new owner's contact information.
- If you aquire a water right, or a property with an appurtenant water right, send your report and the following documents and fees to the address below.
What should I do if I would like to abandon my water right?
- complete the Voluntary Abandonment of Water Right Form (TCEQ-10200) or
- mail it to the address below.
Where can I find more information about reporting requirements?
The Texas Water Code outlines the annual reporting requirements for water right holders and the penalties for failing to follow the law.
- Annual report requirements:
- Penalty for failing to file an annual report - Texas Water Code, Section 11.031(b)
- Unlawful use, diversion, waste, etc. - Texas Water Code, Chapter 11, Subchapter C
- Cancellation in whole or in part - Texas Water Code, Section 11.173
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Water Rights Compliance Assurance Team
Water Rights Compliance Assurance - MC 160
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 13087
Austin TX 78711-3087